Search

Day trips outside of London?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips outside of London?

Hi All,
Am staying mainly in London but would love some suggestions on some day trips that leave London.

I am not taking a car, so would appreciate advice on either day trips from London where one can hop on a train or bus or use a good tour agency.

Thanks for your input!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Ooh, by the way, must add---this is for travel sometime in August.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM

What appeals to you ... there are loads of things to do. Castles, palaces, cool towns (Bath, Bristol, even York), etc. etc. It's hard to make recommendations without knowing what you like to see.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Watch out for lots of crowds in August at the so-called 'honey pot' tourist locations, such as Canterbury, Bath, the Cotswolds, Brighton etc. Go during the week rather than at a weekend and avoid travelling on Bank Holidays which fall on Mondays. There is at least one in August.
Book ahead and go to York (www.thetrainline.com, www.gner.com) which you couuld do in a day, leaving early and coming back later in the day. £30 return for the cheapest Daypex tickets.
Or you could do the same with Bath and or Canterbury.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. I'm pretty open so I am looking for ideas of places to go on day trips. Some places I know I want to see are Stratford (I already know I can get there by train) and the Cotswolds. But I'm sure there's plenty more great stuff so I welcome whatever ideas for day trips you care to share.

I like historical sites, beautiful scenery, castles, fun shopping, etc.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Oxford and Bleinham Palace are close. I love Bath, and went to Canterbury in Dec and really enjoyed that. Am going to Bristol in a week. Castles are everywhere ... Windsor, Warwick, etc. Kensington Palace is okay - Hampton Court is much better.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 04:46 PM

We went on an Astral tours day tour of Oxford, Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick Castle. It was excellent, they used minivans and the guide was great. We also did a Premium Tour of Stonehenge. It was a sunset full access tour (meaning you could touch the stones and walk among them which you can't normally do). It also was excellent. I would do both again. Oh, and Hampton Court is truly wonderful as well and easily accessible by train.
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!

Any thoughts on Rye? Or any other day trip places?
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:11 PM

We used an Astral mini-van tour last year to see Oxford, Stratford, and the Cotswolds on a day tour. We lucked out because there was only one other party (3 people) on the tour, so we had a semi-private tour. They do cover a lot of ground, though, and it is hard not to feel rushed by the limited amount of time you get at each stop. But for the Cotwolds, without a car, it may be your best option. We also did Bath, Hampton Court Palace, and Windsor/Eton by train on three other day trips, all worth doing...
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM

I've thoroughly enjoyed day trips from London with the Evan Evans tour company, www.evanevans.co.uk. Most recently I did their trip to Stonehenge/Windsor/Salisbury and it was great!

Old May 16th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Ok everyone....after spending five days in London in late July, and then two and a half days biking in the Cotswold(Chipping Campden as base), we have from early morning on Saturday(we'll checkout early) until our Sunday morning plane departure at 9:15 A.M. from Gatwick to spend doing whatever. Where could we go for our last day and night in the UK that would give us a quick trip to Gatwick early in the morning? I'm tempted to train it back to London and spend the night near Victoria station to take the Gatwick Express out Sunday morning(only a 35 minute trip) I was hoping someone could tell of a nearby town close to Gatwick that we could visit for the day and night that would still allow us to be at Gatwick for our flight with sufficient time. I'm not seeing anything of interest. I want to make sure the transportation would be reliable and in close proximity to Gatwick enough so as to not give us heart attacks rushing about at the last minute. Thanks for anyone's assistance.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:12 AM

Brighton? As far by train in the other direction as London is. You could see the Pavilion, browse the antique shops in the Lanes, get some sea air and buy some truly kitschy souvenirs, postcards and seaside rock (hard peppermint candy to you - either as sticks or as imitation false teeth or bacon and eggs).
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:16 AM

On the other hand, for a 9.15 am departure, you'd need to be at the airport around 7, catching the train around 6.30am. So perhaps your original plan makes a bit more sense, since to get to Brighton by train from the Cotswolds, you'd have to go via London anyway.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:28 AM
PJI

We went to Bath and Stonehenge in one day with a local tour company we found after we arrived in London. I thought it would be horrible but my husband really wanted to do it. We ended up having a wonderful time and really enjoying ourselves.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:45 AM

If you're open to day tours, I'd recommend London Walks. They do quite a few day trips outside of London. I can vouch for the Stonehenge/Bath and the Cotswolds/Oxford trips. I've always had great experiences with London Walks, their guides are very knowledgeable and interesting, and I would go with them anytime. You can find their brochures in the tube stations, and I'm sure hotel concierges would have them also. They also have great night tours of London, too.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Patrick and others..thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I was afraid that 7:AM necessary arrival time at Gatwick would pretty much limit us to London, then onto the Gatwick Express from Victoria Station. Brighton looks interesting; maybe next time.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:58 AM

I'm going to London this weekend and thought I'd do a day trip to Bristol & Bath (as they appear to be on the same train line). Does anyone know if I can just buy a return ticket to Bristol-- head straight down there, and then upon returing get off in Bath for a short walk around, and then back on another train bound for London? Or do I have to purchase a London-Bristol-Bath-London ticket? (It seems Bath is about 12 min away from Bristol via the train schedule)
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM

If you like Roman ruins, St. Albans is an interesting day trip by train. I second the recommendation for London Walks www.londonwalks.com. Their Explorer Days walks go to Canterbury, Stonehenge, Bath, Oxford, the Cotswolds and others. We've taken most of them and they are great.
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:30 PM

mauld:

The official answer is that if you buy a normal Saver return to Bristol from the ticket machine at Paddington, you're not supposed to get off on the way. Indeed, if there are automatic barriers at Bath, they'll let you out but they'll reject (but not eat up)your ticket when you try to get back on.

In practice, though, the chaps at the barrier will just grunt and let you through, as long as you're getting onto a train that's eligible for the saver ticket you've bought (generally speaking that means any train outside peak hours)

However, if you try to be really clever and save a bit more by buying an advance purchase supersaver, it's specific to a designated train. If you get on a different train from the one you've booked, the FGW inspectors on the train will almost certainly surcharge you, though this can vary between trains and between individual inspectors.
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:30 AM

Oxford. Oxford. Oxford. Bath is nice as well, but Oxford is, in my opinion, the most historically interesting and lively place in the area. Plus, you can catch a bus right out of central london roundtrip for somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 8 pounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -