Short Island trip to greece

Mar 18th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Short Island trip to greece

Hi, we will be celebrating a part of our honeymoon in greece from june 6-14th. I know this is a short time but am interested in seeing santorini, creete/rhodes and maybe mykonos. We arrive in ATH at 11am from Brussles. Was thinking that we would spend the rest of the day in athens and see the Acropolis and then head out to the islands. I see that there are overnight ferries to Crete and that from there we could go to Santorini-but how then to get to Mykonos? I also see that there are flights available that would work as a connection to our outgoing flight on aegeans 19e airfare sale from crete, and rhodes but not santorini or mykonos on the dates we need. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to do the logistics of this in this short time?

Mar 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM

In June there's a daily highspeed ferry, the Flying Cat, from Heraklion on Crete to Santorini. This same ferry continutes on to Ios, Naxos, Paros and Mykonos.

The ferry company is Hellenic Seaways. They also have a highspeed ferry from Piraeus to Chania on Crete, an afternoon trip that takes about 5 hours. There's an early morning bus from Chania to Heraklion that will get you there in time for the run to Santorini.

Their schedule is below but be advised that last year's schedule is 'dead' and the 2006 schedule is not yet published. Keep checking back. It'll be there soon.

http://www.greekislands.gr/hfd/
Mar 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM

For such a short visit you may not want to wait half a day and then take the overnight ferry. Aegean and Olympic have flights that will get you to these islands from Athens in under an hour, and you can book online through their websites.

Recommend you limit yourself to two islands - either Crete & Santorini, or Santorini & Myknonos. If you choose Rhodes, either stay there for the entire trip or look for another island in the Dodecanese to visit. Getting between Crete/Cyclades and the Dodecanese involves either a long ferry ride or a return to Athens for a connecting flight.
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replys. Now which two islands to choose? And how to coordinate on a nickle budget. I see that I can get a flight for 19 euros from crete to athens that would work out perfect for our departure flight on aegean air to Dusseldorf, how long and how much on highspeed ferry (if you think this is the way to go) flight looks lke $85 p/p to get from pireas to santorini...uggg but we have already had many flights.
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Ohh and "Creete or Mykonos"-we are mid/late twenties mild drinkers, scooter riders, ruins likers, beach bums, budget travelers, with at this point tierd feet.
Mar 20th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I agree with Heimdall - two Greek islands, tops, if you only have a week. Of the several you've listed, I'd recommend Santorini and Crete over Mykonos or Rhodes. The issue with Crete, though, is the size of the island. If you like ruins, you won't want to miss Knossos, which is near Heraklion. Heraklion has little else to commend it (other than its museum). Stay away from the East end of Crete, though, it's mass tourism on a grotesque scale. No, apart from Knossos, you want Western Crete: the charming city of Chania and perhaps a nice little town along the water like Giorgioupoulis. Can you scooter from Heraklion to the West? Not unless you have nerves (and lungs) of steel, you can't. Cretan drivers are ... well, Cretans, in several senses of the word.

That being said, if this is your honeymoon, it doesn't get any more romantic than than Santorini. Slight problem being it's a very expensive island. And you'll spend a fair amount of time or money travelling if you want to do both Santorini and Crete in one week.

Think about this as a possibility: After you leave Athens, take a ferry to Naxos, which is a relaxed and inexpensive island with nice beaches and scooter-friendly roads. Spend a few days on Naxos, then take the ferry to Santorini for a few more nights of budget "blow out". Then, you can either take a longish ferry ride back to Athens or try to get a cheap one-way flight from Santorini and Athens.
Mar 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM

the ferry is fun. get a table near the bar on the stern and relax on the day ferry to thera
Mar 21st, 2006, 02:52 AM

Since you are on a budget, it wouldn't make much sense to choose the two most expensive islands, Santorini and Mykonos, for your destination. Had you mentioned budget in your OP, I may not have recommended the flights either. Santorini, yes, but littlemountain has a good idea with Naxos. It is cheaper than Mykonos, has better beaches, and can be reached in only four hours by highspeed ferry from Pireaus. You can indulge your interest in ruins with a daytrip to Delos, and look around some of the sites on Naxos itself.

So my vote would go for Naxos and Santorini as well. I believe the Aegean €19 deals are gone now, though. A random check of ticket prices on their website showed mostly €96 pp for Athens to Santorini during the period you will be travelling. So you may wish to go by ferry after all. I believe you could take an overnight ferry (book a cabin) from Pireaus to Santorini if that interests you, then go on to Naxos from there. Brotherleelove can tell you more about ferries to Santorini.
Mar 21st, 2006, 03:32 AM

When I said book a cabin on the ovenight ferry, I didn't necessarily mean book in advance. Early June is mostly a time of light travel, when ferry tickets can be obtained when you get to the port. June 12th is a Greek holiday, though, so ferries on that weekend may be busy. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a deck class ticket on a conventional ferry, but highspeed tickets on certain days may be hard to get. That would be mostly Fri/Sat going to the islands, and Mon coming back to Pireaus.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

A few more random questions...

I think you guys are right-we like scootering and want to be in a smaller place than Crete.

Are Naxos and Santorini serviced by the same ferry service(so we wouldn't have to return to Athens)? We enjoy agricultural/how it's made type of visits, It seems like Naxos has a bit of that.

Is Delos really accessable from other islands (i.e. Naxos)? From what I have read it seemed it was Mykonos that made Delos a day trip? How do you do Delos as a day trip from Naxos?

Is there an overnight direct ferry to Santorini? If not we will just take the ferry-probably the slow one, our other travels in europe will have us exausted.

Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:43 AM

Yes, Naxos and Santorini are both serviced by the Blue Star Ferry Company as well as others.

There's an overnight ferry right now to Santorini from Piraeus leaving at 6:50 p.m. and arriving at 4:10 a.m., but if the timetable at www.gtp.gr is accurate it's not yet a daily occurrence. It will be in June, however.

Naxos will be better for a scooter, although I've rented one on Santorini. The road to Oia is winding and without guardrails for a lot of the way with some sheer dropoffs, but if you have experience it's not a problem.

There is an excursion boat to Delos from Naxos.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi Brotherleelove,

Thank you and others for your reccommendation to go to Naxos. I actually just read about the ferry service on another post-ty. I am pleased to hear about the overnight ferry. I assume it is direct. I will go to their sight and see what the price is for a cabin. Is this also maybe a 4x4 place. My favorite activity last summer was renting a Jeep Wrangler and traveling the dunes on Matha's Vinyard on Cape Cod Massachusetts.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:31 AM

I agree about Santorini (a must if it's a honeymoon) and Naxos. With the short time you have, it would be difficult to "do" Crete without wearing yourselves out. The driving distances are long to get to the ruins and beaches. While Naxo (and mykonos for that matter) lack the extensive ruins of Crete, you could see Delos from either of them, and still have plenty of time for lounging on the beach. See www.greekhotel.com for a good overview of all the islands and links to hotels on each. Click on Cyclades and then you can brouse pics of all the islands there. They have hotels listed by class, which makes it easier to find places within your budget. Finally, I would strongly suggest finding a hotel in Oia on Santorini. Many are expensive, but there are some bargains, too, and it's so much better for a honeymoon than the town of Fira. Good luck!