My husband has a conference in Athens, and my two kids and I are going to tag along. We would like to make a short trip out of it and need help conceptualizing the itinerary. Our girls are 10 and 7, and we'd be flying from NYC. We would be going in mid-May. Our interests are archeological sites and ruins, ancient cities, and natural beauty.
We could either:
1) Stay in Athens for three days. Explore the Acropolis and other ancient sites. Maybe do a day trip to Sounion or to another site or two.
2) Spend a day in Athens and then head out to one of the islands by ferry and spend a few days there.
Should we explore Athens or venture out to the islands? If so, which one would be suitable for a family with kids, not too far from Athens because of our limited time frame? We could possibly stretch this vacation out to five days, tops. And yes, I know it would be better to spend two weeks in Greece. But for this trip, five days or so is all we have.
Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 2 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 3 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 4 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 5 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 6 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 7 Moscow Hotels
- 8 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 9 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 10 Airport Transfer
- 11 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 12 Dublin to Donegal
- 13 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 14 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 15 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 16 Mifi rentals for Portugal
- 17 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 18 Barcelona tour option help please
- 19 Again, onboard robbery attempts on trains leaving Milano Centrale station
- 20 New Years in France
- 21 Which Aran Island??
- 22 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 23 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 24 Easter Week in Italy
- 25 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome