Short European break

Oct 6th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Short European break

My wife and I wish to go to Germany or Austria from 17th to 20th Nov. Just a city break, would be awesome if any early Christmas markets are open. Also love the countryside, only if it could be managed with the limited time we have. Any suggestions for other cities in Europe...thanks in advance.
Oct 6th, 2016, 08:28 AM

Other cities than which? I thought you were asking for ideas of cities within the two countries you named? If you mean what other countries instead of these two for only 3 days, I guess it depends where you are coming from.

As for Christmas markets, gads, that's more than a month in advance of Christmas, it's bad enough in the US where they start advertising right after the end of November. Christmas markets in Germany usually start last week in November.
Oct 6th, 2016, 08:25 PM

It appears there will be several Christmas markets open across Austria, including ones in Innsbruck (15 Nov.) and Salzburg (17 Nov.) We have spent long weekends enjoying the markets and sightseeing in both Salzburg and Innsbruck.

In Vienna, the major Wiener Kristkindlmarkt (commercial, but very bright and cheery at night against the stunning backdrop of the Rathaus) opens 12 November. Other markets at Maria-Theresien Platz and Am Hof open then, as well, and quite a few more open on the weekend of your planned holiday.
https://www.wien.info/en/shopping-wi...istmas-markets

I hope this is helpful.
Oct 6th, 2016, 09:28 PM

In Germany, the markets traditionally open during the week after Eternity Sunday, the memorial day for fthe dead in the protestant churches and end of the church year. That's Nov 20 this year. Only in the Ruhr District a couple of markets open earlier, for example Essen on Nov 17 - they have to stay closed on Eternity Sunday, though, except maybe a few hours in the evening.

Search this Thread