Shopping tips in Italy - urgent

Jan 14th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Kathleen Roh

Shopping tips in Italy - urgent

Hi everyone,
I'm leaving for Rome on Wed 1/16 and have been assigned to purchase lots of italian designer items (prada, gucci, etc) and wanted to know if you have any tips on the best place to buy these items. Are there any good outlets in Rome or is the actual store the best bet?
Thanks ^^

Jan 14th, 2002, 08:13 AM
ellene

I don't know about the outlets, but the actual designer stores are located on Via Condotti and adjoining streets, all located near the Spanish Steps. If money is no object, this is where you'll find what you're looking for.

Jan 14th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Leone

Yes, this advice is very good. Ciao, L

Jan 14th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Amy

Too bad you are not going to Florence...
Dolce & Gabbana Outlet - Santa Maddalena 49
Gucci Outlet - Via Aretina 63
Prada Outlet - Lavenella-Montevarchi
These are all outside of Florence...maybe it is worth the trip to you! I don't know about outlets in Rome...sorry.

Jan 14th, 2002, 10:37 AM
c

This will be of no help to you-but I must say that I wish I had the assignment of buying lots of designer clothes in Italy~Have fun!C

Jan 14th, 2002, 11:50 AM
ccc

Kathleen:

Don't know about Rome, however as Amy has suggested there's very good shopping to be done in Florence. If I may risk the wrath of others, it IS do-able to take the train up to Florence for a day of shopping (travel on fastest train, Eurostar get you there in 1 hr, 30 min). And of course, while you're in Florence you could also pop in to see 'David' or stroll thru Ufizzi if that's of interest.

Jan 14th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Shopping queen

Thank goodness and the shopping Gods that January is a good "sales" month in Italy.

Jan 14th, 2002, 02:29 PM
88--22

-
Any more shoppers out there ???

Jan 14th, 2002, 03:06 PM
le

Jan 14th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Bev

Yes...I am a shopper and going to Rome, Florence & Venice starting 3/5...are there places where you can also purchase copies of designer, ie., louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada etc. I want the real thing in the outlets but I am also interested in copies for a friend of mine. Also...good places to eat in the above cities?
thanks so much,
bev

Jan 14th, 2002, 04:08 PM
hairyback

Yes...it's true....right opposite the Spanish Steps (Piazza di Spagna)...you will find a host of streets- Via Condotti, Via Borgognona, Via Due Macelli, Via Frattina, Via Bocca di Leone, Via Mario de Fiori....ad nauseum...here exist a plethora of designer shops that will cheerfully and swiftly lighten your wallet. Ciao bella

Jan 14th, 2002, 04:15 PM
hairyback

Oh...I forgot.....for better prices and quality just as good as that pricey district at Piazza di Spagna I mentioned above^....go across the river into the Prati district. There are many nice stores around Via Cola di Rienzo, Viale Giulio Cesare, Via Candia area

Jan 14th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Me

In Venice there were people all over selling 'copies' on the street. but be careful, they try to rip you off, you have to bargain with them. most of the copies shouldn't cost more than $20US. I inquired with a vendor as to the cost of a large tote-type 'designer' bag. He said L100.000, I walked away. He lowered the price to L30.000. I wasn't even interested, I was just curious what they went for. I didn't buy it.

Jan 16th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Dee

Hi, probably a little late for Kathleen (hope you are enjoying Rome) but one more question about shopping ...are there any good designer shops open on Sunday???

Jan 16th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Kathleen Roh

Thanks for all your good tips everyone!! I've actually decided to go to Florence for a day for shopping. ^0^
If I find good bargains, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

ciao~~ ^^

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Shopping.Is.Best

Is it true that shops in the south of France (Riviera) are closed fpr vacation at the end of summer?
Are there any outlets around Nice, Cannes, Monaco? When the summer sales season starts: August or September?
Has anyone heard of Louis Vuitton Outlets/Discounts?

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:09 PM
nolooking

Have only 24-48 hours in Paris and Florence and Venice = I AM going shopping!!! Sorry to all my friends who sight their favorite museum!

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:17 PM
dora

so where are the prada and pratessi linen outlets?

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Shopping

Don't you just HATE these trips where you spend your time shopping for friends who are too cheap or too lazy to get to Europe on their own? I do!

I used to take long lists of things that my friends wanted from Europe with me and spent hours trying to shop for them, until I realized that, hey, they could go to Europe too!!!

Don't forfeit your vacation for your friends, Kathleen. Being "assigned" to purchase stuff is something you should be compensated for, or else you should just ignore it and have a good time. You'll spend far too much time on your assignment and far too little on your own enjoyment.

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:27 PM
isabella

Regarding the designer outlets that Amy mentioned, can you provide more detailed directions. Does Ferragamo have an outlet in Florence?