shopping in Provence & South of France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading with interest the postings, especially on what you plan to shop for. I leave for France June 3 and would love to hear what you purchase when you go there! I am very excited and hope to hear lots of suggestions! Thanks Kathy
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 11:30 AM

kraines,
I would pack a collapsible suitcase and fill it with bars of soap. Also I'd fill a backpack with bottles of olive oil.
JoeG
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Every year, it's the usual: Olive oil from my favorite moulin, lavender honey, tapenade, and a cigale for my collection. Once in awhile, a flea market find, posters given to me, I bought last year, a painting on wood of Arlesan dancing ladies painted by someone in my favorite vilage. Another time, a baldaquin* in St Remy(*one of those drop from the ceiling gauzy things to keep away misquitos)
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 12:47 PM

I love the fabrics (and articles made from the fabrics) which are typical of Provence, the lovely "indiennes". Souleaido and Les Olivades are the most well known brands; they have their own shops. Souleiado is a bit more expensive than Les Olivades, but they are both wonderful cottons that are great for table linens. Hardly need to be ironed if you remove from dryer immediately.

If you think you might buy the ready made table cloths or fabric, make sure you measure your tables before you go and convert into meters, as that is the way they will be sold in France.

L'Occitane soaps and body products are beautiful and are sold in their own shops as well as in other stores. The fragrances are so reminiscent of the so. of France.

Herve Chapelier and Longchamps bags are great purchases, too; Paris is probably best place to buy those. The HC bags are made of nylon canvas and come in the widest array of dazzling colors. I spent more hours in that shop than I would like to admit; sensory overload! Longchamps have both leather and nylon. And the prices( and selection) are so much better than back here in USA, especially with detaxe.

Have a wonderful time! Bringing back a little piece of France each time is such a part of the fun!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:04 PM

from provence : as the others said: anything made of olives, lavender, honey.

***Fabrics are great too. I wouldn't go for the famous brands as they are expensive. Go to a weekly market (where are you staying?) and shop for fabric there.

***Think about Olive tree items like honey spoons, bowls.

***I love potteries. If you go north enough (in Drome), you can go to Dieulefit. This small town is full of galleries.

***If you go to the market, buy a straw bag to be like everybody else.

***as far as wine is concerne: Muscat de Baumes de Venise. it's not really a wine, but it is soooo good.

***If you want sweets things: calisson from aix, nougat from montelimar are my favorites.

Celine
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 02:39 PM

.....in fact, Muscat de Baume de Venise
is a wine - a sweet one that is served
as an aperitif in Provence but a dessert
wine in N.America. Very yummy!

125g tubs of seasalt have cork lids with
the name of the saltmaker on the seal.
"Fleur de Sel de Camargue" costs under
two euro and can be bought at the
hypermarche. A great gift and a nice
reminder of S.of France.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Make an effort to go to the daily/weekly flea markets and spend time looking around and buy what you like. If it is sold in the flea markets it's authentic south of France merchandise!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:17 PM

Hi KRaines,
I have started a collection of various Provencel Santon dolls and buy them each time when in Provence. They came about during the F. Reveloution in the 1880s and are in almost every household in Provence. My last two dolls were bought in Arles, but you can buy them almost anywhere. (Check out this URL http://www.latabledeprovence.com/santon/
) I also agree with Grandmere's post about the beautiful fabrics...tablecloths, napkins, etc. Places I have purchased these were at the Sat. market in Apt, and in a beautiful shop in the village of Laurmarin. Also, if you will be in L'Isle Sur La Sorgue at the Sunday market, you can buy lots of little (or large) antiques.
Enjoy your trip to magical Provence!

Francie
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:41 AM

For Santon, the best town/village would be Aubagne. You can visit studios and see the craftmen at work.

Celine
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:54 AM

Agree with above suggestions, particularly fleur de sel, fabrics, and muscat. Beaumes de Venise is not the only one available---a nice wine shop in the area will have a variety available, and Beaumes de Venise is widely available in the U.S. in any case. They're also commonly offered in restaurants and bars, so you can try them out in that context as well.

I also like the local sweets, particularly callisons (diamond-shaped, citrus-y, vaguely cookie-like) and grisettes (from Montpellier, liquorice-flavored hard candies).

These items can be purchased in specialty shops, of course, but lots of them are also available at places like Monoprix for considerably less. The advantage to buying them at a nice place is that you can have them gift-wrapped (at no extra charge).
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:04 AM

A nice day trip while in so. of France is to Moustiers Ste. Marie, in the Alpes de Haute Provence. It's a beautiful little "perched" village, famous for its pottery, (faience),which is beautiful (the most popular design has mythical birds on it; you may have seen it here in US) though not inexpensive. Plan to have lunch (or dinner) at Restaurant Les Santons!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Beaume de Venise is a sweet muscat wine. In Provence it is often served over the famous Cavaillon melon.
miam, miam!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:43 AM

My wife loves to shop at the outdoor weekly markets in Provence. Each major town/village has a day for its market though many of the merchants are the same. We have found the market at St Remy de Provence on Wednesday morning to be the best one.

Fabrics are great. Also, there are painters who sell their wares. Wonderful food sales for those preparing their own meals.

One tip, there is an "Olivades"' factory and outlet on the road from St. Remy headed toward Tarascon. It is no more than 10 minutes our of town. Great buys on fabric.

One of the few places in the world I enjoy shopping is Provence.

Good luck.