Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Shopping in Paris for the not-so-slim?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/shopping-in-paris-for-the-not-so-slim-918526/)

triciafromoz Jan 7th, 2012 04:11 PM

Shopping in Paris for the not-so-slim??

With arthritic knees I now find my self firmly in the land of the over weight and comfortable shoe brigade. I am spending 4 days in Paris with my gorgeous slim DD and know that I will be standing idly by while she tries on everything but is there somewhere in Paris where people like my self can shop and buy beautiful clothes and flat shoes? I know Paris is the city of the beautiful people but where do the "others" shop?

nytraveler Jan 7th, 2012 04:33 PM

It would help to know what you mean by not so slim. Are you looking for a size 12? Or are you looking for a size 20?

I'm tall (5' 9") and broad-shouldered (large for the French - but not the US - I can usually take a 10 here - and while I can find some things - others are a problem (French women tend to be flat chested and tops are often just too small for me - even in the largest size).

tuscanlifeedit Jan 7th, 2012 06:25 PM

I shop for my DD, but for myself, I look at accessories, cosmetics, housewares, etc. I have looked at some shoes, but since I'm from the US, with the exchange rate, my type of flat shoes are too expensive in Paris. I can get them here cheaper. I also shop for my grandchild and even my husband who is not, like me, chubby.

triciafromoz Jan 7th, 2012 06:37 PM

Oh well looks like I won't be doing any clothes shopping. I am a size 16 so I guess I will have to settle for a handbag and some nice scarves. Ce la Vie

Nikki Jan 7th, 2012 06:51 PM

You don't have to stand idly by, as long as you enjoy shopping for jewelry, scarves, accessories. While I can not buy clothes in Paris, I have always come home with something.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 7th, 2012 07:26 PM

I agree. I just can't find anything other than an oversize sweater to wear, but I can find plenty of other stuff.

denisea Jan 8th, 2012 10:49 AM

two suggestions for shopping for "other items"...Diwali for scarves; also earrings. I love the one on rue St Louis en Isle.

Also, Satellite for jewelry (not very expensive but nice). There is one not far from Musee Carnavalet in the Marais...I also think they sell Satellite items at Printemps.

kerouac Jan 8th, 2012 11:09 AM

C&A stores sell quite a few "grandes tailles."

cathies Jan 8th, 2012 11:16 AM

I agree with the others, I'm an Australian size 12/14 and can't buy clothes in Paris. I do have some beautiful scarves though that are lovely reminders of my travels. Back in 2006 I bought a great pair of shoes which I literally wore out over the next twelve months.

annhig Jan 8th, 2012 11:19 AM

just on the right bank side of the pont neuf is the department store "Samaritaine" where i spend a happy hour with my DD once looking at the fashions.

They had a "grandes tailles" or "plus" department and I still remember the suit that I didn't buy - RATS!

i assume that the other "grands magasins" also have "plus" departments.

Nikki Jan 8th, 2012 12:16 PM

La Samaritaine has been closed since 2005. Can't buy clothes there even if you wear a size 2.

frogoutofwater Jan 8th, 2012 12:44 PM

You can accomplish a lot of shopping in the Grands Magasins (department stores), which have boutiques for all the major labels. That means your daughter can shop and you won't have to pound the pavement - you might even be able to sit down in lounge areas nearby.

You should be able to find an interesting selection of comfortable shoes, in department stores and also in various chains around the city.

Pvoyageuse Jan 8th, 2012 12:52 PM

Rondissimo/Alain Weiz 91 bis rue d'Alesia, Paris 14 and 10 rue de Passy, Paris 16 specializes in clothes for not-so-slim women.

immimi Jan 8th, 2012 01:00 PM

There must be Marina Rinaldi stores in Paris - they do chic
but pricy clothing. I'll bet they have a boutique in both
grands magasins.

annhig Jan 8th, 2012 01:35 PM

La Samaritaine has been closed since 2005. Can't buy clothes there even if you wear a size 2.>>

oh dear - that suit's definitely gone then?

I suppose the visit that I was thinking about was probably 10 years ago now, and though we've been back to Paris several times since, i hadn't noticed the closure - sorry.

triciafromoz Jan 8th, 2012 05:09 PM

THank you all, I feel much better now. WE are staying at Madeleine PLaza which I think is near some good shopping. annhig I knkow what you mean, I remember loooking at a green leather briefcase while in Rome and at 275euro I thought it was too extravagant, but I still think about that briefcase all the time. THank you pvoyageuse I will definately go there. The Aussie dollar is a bit stronger against the euro so I may be able to buy just a little bit more.!

Mez Jan 8th, 2012 11:52 PM

You may also wish to try the following stores:
- Ulla Popken, 32 Boulevard Haussmann, 75009 - ullapopken.fr
- La Pompadour 32 bis Boulevard Haussmann, 75009 - lapompadour.fr (FYI, 'bis' is the equivalent of A as in 32A)
- Cazak, 4 Rue Marignan, 75008 - vivelesrondes.com/?p=1171
- Devernois, 255 Rue Saint-Honoré. This is one store of several (it's a small chain" but I am not sure if they all sell larger sizes
- Elena Miro, 16 Rue St Roch, 75001 - elenamiro.it

Also, check out this blog for larger size fashions - http://www.leblogdebigbeauty.com - even if you don't like what she is wearing, scroll to the bottom of each entry to see where she shops.
Finally, a shopping experience that is size neutral is going to place like Chanel or Guerlain and buying a lipstick or other small cosmetic. It does not the cost the earth but they package it beautifully and treat you as well as they would had you spent thousands.

There are few things more uplifting than walking along a street in Paris carrying a beribboned bag. Enjoy.

seafox Jan 10th, 2012 07:59 AM

Kerouac is right C&A is a good option..... they also have bigger sizes for guys... the fashion may not be something you would find on St Honore, but it does the trick!

Guenmai Jan 10th, 2012 08:13 PM

Pick up a copy of Where to Wear Paris. You can get a used copy on Amazon for under a dollar. I remember that there's a section in that book of boutiques that carry larger sizes. That's a really good book for shopping for about everything fashionable. I think the last one came out in 2005, but I still use my 2005 copy for looking up locations of various boutiques in Paris. Happy Travels!

chiarachiara Jan 10th, 2012 09:09 PM

Another vote for C&A! Of some designs, all the smaller numbers are sold - so I am sure even some of the Parisians shop there. In fact, I have seen locals there many times.