Reload this Page >

Shopping in/around Munich and Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2000, 10:23 AM
Diana

I would welcome store/shopping suggestions for childrens (toddler) clothing, shoes, and gift items. I know that it can be more expensive than the US but I love the design and quality. We will be in Munich, Salzburg, Salzkammergut and Carinthian regions this summer. Thanks! <BR>

Old May 20th, 2000, 05:20 AM
Silvia Rotheimer

Hello from Vienna! <BR>In germany and Austria we don't have this big shopping malls and outlet centers you have in the US and Canada. But we have small shops with good quality. In Rosenheim (between Munich and Salzburg) is the shoe outlet of GABOR (shoes) with a very good quality. In Gmunden (Lake Traunsee/Austria) is the fectory of Gmundner Porzellan (ceramics). <BR>I'm sure you will find a lot of things to buy! <BR>Silvia

Old May 22nd, 2000, 02:48 AM
francesca

These are my favorite Munich stores: Ludwig Beck, in the Marienplatz, is a stunning, though expensive, department store. Leute is a small shop in the Viktualienmarkt full of gorgeous wood items.

Old May 28th, 2000, 01:01 AM
mary

We love the Loden-Frey store in Munich - on Maffeistrasse, behind Marienplatz. They have three or four floors of clothing - the traditional trachten, loden coats, etc. But also more modern clothes. I am sorry I can't remember for sure if they have childrens' clothes. <BR> <BR>Regarding shoes, we were just in Germany and Austria in March, and found the prices good (due to dollar's strength). Saw Mephisto walking shoes for $120 that were $200 in the US. <BR> <BR>We always enjoy going into Dallmayr on the Dienerstrasse (also near Marienplatz) just to look around. This is a huge deli that has been in business over 250 years - and they have just about every delicacy you can think of. It is fun to wander through if you are into food. <BR> <BR>We spend a lot of time in Munich and Salzburg. You can e-mail me if you have specific questions.

Old May 30th, 2000, 02:03 AM
chris

Hi! <BR>And don't forget that on every purchase you can get a portion of the VAT back (around 10% of the purchase price). At the store they will give you the checks, all you need to do is present thema nd the goods to customs when you leave the European Union, they'll stamp them and you can get a cash refund right there.