Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Shopping for Longchamp Bags (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/shopping-for-longchamp-bags-259150/)

Margie Sep 18th, 2002 01:28 PM

Shopping for Longchamp Bags

Are Longchamp bags available in Department Stores of France, or are they only sold in Factory owned stores?

Teresa Sep 18th, 2002 01:44 PM

Margie, Longchamp bags are sold in departmant stores also, in Galleries Lafayette you will find them.

Judy Sep 18th, 2002 01:49 PM

I bought one last year at Galleries Lafayette and saved 45% over the cost of the same bag here in the states....made it very reasonable.

beth Sep 18th, 2002 01:56 PM

You can also usually find a pretty good selection at duty free shops in the air.ports. Great savings over U.S. prices! I have purchased several.<BR>

mimi taylor Sep 18th, 2002 01:56 PM

Margie, you can also purchase them at the airport, CDG. I bought a large folding one for extras I bought,aboard<BR>Air France

Maribel Sep 18th, 2002 02:16 PM

Margie,<BR>You can purchase them at Le Bon Marche as well as at GL, plus the main Longchamp store in Paris on the Right Bank at Rue St Honore and their Left Bank store in the 6th. I've also seen them at the Musee Marmottan and the Musee Jacquemart -Andre gift shops in Paris, plus in all the airport duty free shops, not only in France. And they just opened their first store in Spain this summer, in Madrid on Calle Serrano, with prices identical to those of Paris.

x Sep 18th, 2002 02:19 PM

La Samaritaine

geiffel Sep 18th, 2002 03:09 PM

Margie,<BR>Longchamp bags are my vice. The main store on Rue St Honore has a much nicer selection than the dep't stores. Longchamp just opened a store in Manhattan, and if you go to the Longchamp web site, they will send you a catalog. The new fall catalog just came out, so you'll see what there is to pick from. The Dep't stores will not have all those new bags. <BR>Also take a look at their scarves and belts while you are there. I bought my husband the black belt, and he says it's the best belt he's ever had.<BR><BR>

JB Sep 18th, 2002 03:43 PM

Margie, Here's their website that tells you all of the stores (in addition to their own signature stores) where their line is sold: <BR><BR>http://www.longchamp.com/home.php3<BR><BR>I was in Paris in February and visited both their Rue St. Honore and Rue du Vieux Colombier stores. They both had a great selection, but I prefer the latter store since I'm more of a left bank/St. Germain shopper myself. Either way, you can't go wrong, as the price of buying them anywhere in France beats the price of buying them in the USA by far! (Assuming that's where you're from, of course.)

angie Sep 18th, 2002 10:24 PM

I'll say it's cheaper to buy Longchamp bags in France than in the US. I saw the same model of my handbag at Saks Fifth Ave. and it must have been 25% more than what I paid in Paris.

cheryl8 Feb 26th, 2007 05:44 AM

Would it be the same price if you get the bag from CDG duty free vs. Paris store? Thanks.

Celiaanne Feb 26th, 2007 06:04 AM

So, if you were considering price only, where would you shop?

Thanks!

Luisah Feb 26th, 2007 07:12 AM

&lt;&lt;La Samaritaine&gt;&gt;

Has Samaritaine reopened?

Check Galeries Lafayette and Printemps for a discount (10%) for tourists. I don't think Bon Marche offer a discount. You can also get the detaxe refund if you spend more than (I think it's about 185 euros) on the same day in the same store, so you'll get close to 25% off the price.

A few years ago I bought a leather Longchamps at Galeries L. and with the store discount it was less than at the airport. There was a wider selection at the Paris store too, but the airport shop had a good selection of the &quot;pliages,&quot; the colorful, foldup bags.

Celiaanne Feb 26th, 2007 07:15 AM

Thanks, Luisah. That is just the information I am looking for.

grandmere Feb 26th, 2007 07:43 AM

Some manufacturers do not allow the 10% (at GL,Printemps, etc.)discount, and I believe that Longchamps is one of them. You can, of course, get the detaxe regardless of where you buy them, as long as you spend the required amount.
You find a much better selection at the individual stores than you do at GL, IMO.

cigalechanta Feb 26th, 2007 08:08 AM

I was surprised at the large selection at BHV.(Bazaar Hotel DeVILLe)

merrittm Feb 26th, 2007 08:51 AM

Cigalechanta, with the $ vs Euro, is it still less expensive to buy a Longchamps bag in Paris?

cigalechanta Feb 26th, 2007 08:53 AM

YES!

Toupary Feb 26th, 2007 09:01 AM

I don't think this applies all year round, but during the soldes last summer the prices at Le Bon March&eacute; were better than on rue Saint-Honor&eacute;.

Mara Feb 26th, 2007 09:11 AM

I bought a Pliage bag at the Longchamp store on rue St. Honore during the first half of November. I paid 58 Euro and the charge came through on my cc card as $75. Of course, the Euro/$ rate was different then. I had priced the same bag at the Longchamp store in Soho NYC. There it was $108 and with NY tax it would have been around $116.