Reload this Page >

Shopping at Galleries in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 02:32 AM
Emily

hi there everyone! I've been doing some research for my upcoming trip to Paris, my first. I have visited the Galleries Lafayette website and it was mentioned that they have duty free shopping and they give additional 12% discounts for tourists who are eligible? How does this work? Does it mean that they will give a 12% upfront on top of the VAT claim or this is the VAT claim and that you still have to file the papers at the airport etc? It sounds kind of confusing as to whether the 12% is THE VAT that everyone is talking about or not. Please help.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 02:43 AM
Myer

If I remember correctly, your purchase must be of a certain amount to qualify. <BR>There is an information counter on the main floor. They'll explain it to you.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Fred

Unless they've changed things, if you bring a card from your hotel or any other hotel that shows the offer, show your passport and they'll give you a card which will give you a 10% discount on your purchases (except special sale items). Do it at the Welcome Desk. If you spend 1200FF in one day in the same store, you can get back the VAT - Galeries will do all the paperwork for you. You take that to the airport and get it stamped by Customs, then mail it in (mailbox right there). It will be credited on your credit card. For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Bill

Emily, Fred's response is correct. The VAT refund is fairly swift as well. I had it applied to my credit card and the VAT credit was on my next statement. <BR>-bmh

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Christina

The tourist card discount is only 10 pct, I believe (other stores have this also BTW, like Printemps)--I think that 12 pct number is the tax refund. I also don't think you have to have a card from a hotel, you can just go to the visitor/welcome information center in these dept stores and get the discount card if you don't have one of those cards from a hotel or tour package; you do need to show your passport as they only want to give it to foreigners. YOu have to show the discount card before purchase, be sure of that. It also isn't usually good on certain items (like food, books, services or special markdowns).

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Emily

Thanks fo rthe input from everyone. So, it's 10% for tourists and you get the 12% tax off when you put in the paperwork!!