shoes to walk in the Cinque Terre

Jun 1st, 2006, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

shoes to walk in the Cinque Terre

I'm planning to take my ECCO sandals to hike the Cinque Terre. I wore them last year to do a lot of walking in Spain, and I loved them!
For those who have hiked the Cinque Terre,Do you think I'll be fine on these?
I've no idea how this place looks like.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:27 AM

I think it will be fine. I wore sneakers but lots of people on the trail wore sandals. Some even wore flip flops which was beyone me. The downward part can be steep enough to lose footing on loose gravel so its good to have footwear with a good grip. A lot of the path is a dirt one.

I have pictures of some of the trail on yahoo if you want to take a look. Will post the link in the next reply
Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:28 AM

http://tinyurl.com/nqlxg

here are the pictures
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:09 AM

Awesome photos! I can hardly wait. I imagine myself there and just can't believe I'm going to be there in twelve weeks!
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:13 AM

chicagolori,

Thank you for fabulous pictures of just the right places.

-e
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:35 AM

What beautiful pictures! Going to Tuscany and Portofino in September so really appreciate seeing them.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:50 AM

oh thanks. I deliberately wanted to take pictures of the path for future fodorites. When I went, i was scouring the web to see what it was all about.

I did end up losing my footing on gravel and my right foot slipped off the edge of the path which caused be to fall and really twist my left ankle. For some blessed reason, that particular section of the path had a split rail wooden fence which i grabbed to prevent me going right off the path, down a steep hill where i would have landed on some pretty knarly trees and bushes and god knows what.

It was very scary and somewhat cautionary since had I broken my foot, it would have been pretty interesting in terms of getting out of there. I just had to keep going till I reached Vernazza and took the train back. My ankle was huge and bruised but I made it. As we sat in the Vernazza, we saw the Italian helicoptor rescue squad doing a pick up of someone off the trail. My husband and I just looked at each other and thought, "oh, thank god that wasnt us..."

I am not the most graceful or athletic person in the world for sure. Am going back next week but not sure I will hike the path again - husband is going to with our son but I might just sit in Monterosso and sip limoncello this time.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:01 AM

My husband and I hiked the Monterosso to Vernazza stretch, the toughest one, and were fine in Tevas. Have fun!!
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:11 AM

What kind of camera did you use chicagolori?

I see haze in the pictures of the land/seascapes as well as faded colors.

Common problem with digital unfortunately. Did you try editing at all?
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
MaureenB

I think you could do it in sandals, depending on your agility, but you would be much safer in closed-toed shoes with ankle support. After all, why risk it? My daughter is very athletic, and her new Pumas were pretty scuffed up on the toes after our hike.
And, as someone else said, if you get hurt on the trail, I think you'd still have to hike out somehow. We saw no rescue support anywhere. It's not like there are phones along the trail to call for help.
We recently walked the uphill stairs from Vernazza to Corniglia, which took about 90 minutes. (I recommend you walk down those stairs, not up them like we stupidly did!) Even with rock stairs, there were several steps that were broken, unstable, or slick, with drop-offs that would have been very scary if you lose your footing. I, too, saw young teens in flip-flops and that is ridiculously dangerous, IMHO. Some of the trails are easier than Vernazza-Corniglia, I realize, just be sure you know what you're getting into (like I didn't).

Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:03 AM

My husband and I wore SAS walking shoes when we were in the Cinque Terre three weeks ago and they worked just fine, even as we clambered like mountain goats up and down the rocky steps and stony paths. We saw all sorts of footgear on fellow hikers, from serious hiking boots to sandals and tennis shoes. Something with good traction is a must, and I wouldn't recommend shoes with thin soles because you could easily end up with painful stone bruises on the bottom of your feet. Also, keep an eye on where you're placing your feet on the paths--I don't mean you should walk with your head down all the time, of course, but try to be generally aware, because it's very easy to suddenly skid on loose stones while you're gawking at all the gorgeous Cinque Terra scenery! One other bit of advice: if you want to hike the four segments from Monterossa to Riomaggiore, start with the Monterossa to Vernazza leg first, when your knees and legs are fresh. We did it in reverse order. After descending the multitude of uneven stone steps approaching Vernazza from Corniglia in the afternoon heat, my aged knees were wobbling and pretty much trashed, so we reluctantly opted out of the final leg as we were at the beginning of our trip and still had many Tuscan hill towns to conquer in the next few weeks. Next time we will start with the Monterossa leg first, and finish up with the easy (and kind to knees!) path between Manorola and Riomaggiore.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:31 AM

I just walked the trails between the towns in my Keen Newports, and I'm sold on the goofy rubber cap on the toes of some of the Keen shoes styles. Saved me some real grief as I'm still re-growing one big toenail, and didn't want to lose it again prematurely! Very little loose "scree" throughout the trails to get into open shoes, thankfully.

I'm convinced that the Italian trail rating system completely ignores something we used to call "exposure" when I was climbing... it's the pucker-factor of a sheer drop-off that could really play with the confidence of anyone who was bothered it. But it doesn't explain the phenomenon of the ski-pole walking sticks I saw by the hundreds in the CT. Honestly, if your legs are sound, it seemed to me that a walking stick could get you in worse trouble - especially on downhill sections - than just relying on your own gyro for balance!
Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM

What irritated DH and I about all those crazy walking poles was that they appeared to have teh ability to tear up the already crumbling paths of the Cinque Terre.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:11 PM

ttt
Jun 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Just loved this thread -- very informative and the pictures really give you an idea of what you're getting into with the CT trails/walks. Thanks!
Jun 5th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Chicagolori--

What time of year was it when the phots of the Cinque Terre were taken? I am assuming that the upload was in March, but the trip was in better weather.