Shld I rent the car in Rome or Florence?

Feb 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Shld I rent the car in Rome or Florence?

We will fly into Rome. Should we rent the car there and drive to Tuscany or take the train to Florence, then rent the car there? I understand driving in Rome is really tough, but is it any better in Florence?
Carmen
Feb 24th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Unless you are planning to visit small towns in between Rome and Firenze, you shouldn't rent a car at all to get to Firenze. You should take the train. Driving in Firenze is a nightmare of one-way streets and pedestrian-only zones. And the cost of parking a car you won't be driving is through the roof.

Feb 24th, 2006, 08:07 PM

It depends on what you are planning to do.
If you will be in Rome for a visit before you go to Tuscany, I would suggest taking thre Train to Florence and picking up the car there.
Leaving Florence by car is very easy.
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:43 PM

I think it also depends on how many people you are, how long you are planning to keep the car as a car can be less expensive for travelling from Rome to Florence, and where you are planning to stay in Florence.

For example, we are 3 people who are renting a car through autoroute for 7 days.

For a 5 day cost for the car (Autoroute charges the same for 6 and 7 days as for 5 days) you are able to keep the car for 7 days, park at some well-regarded (although not centrally located) Florence hotels for free (David Hotel) or for 15E (San Gallo)
and travel throughout Tuscany for the balance of the days without having to pay for the train.
Feb 25th, 2006, 06:20 AM
ira

Hi T,

Where will you be staying in Tuscany?

There are options for picking up a car that are neither Rome nor Florence.

Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all of you for your suggestions. There are 6 in our group, and we would have to rent two cars. We have rented a villa in Berberino Val d'Elsa (south of Florence, north of Siena). However we are flying into/out of Rome. Our flight home leaves Rome at 10am, so we need to be at the airport by 8am. For this reason, I'm thinking renting the car in Rome is better.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
ira

Hi TF,

>Our flight home leaves Rome at 10am, so we need to be at the airport by 8am....<

You should have your car dropped off the day before.

You should arrange for a shuttle service to collect you at your hotel in Rome about 07:00.

You don't have to pick up/drop off in the same place.

You can take the bus to Siena to pick up your car and drop it off in Orvieto before taking the train into Rome.

See http://www.senabus.it/
See www.trenitalia.com

Have a nice visit.

Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM

I basically agree with the above advice: get rid of the car in Tuscany the day before, travel to Rome by train, and then get a van car service to take everybody to the airport.

Are you departing Italy on a weekday? You would have to leave Tuscany very early in the morning to make it to FCO and drop of your rental by 8am because of the likelihood of traffic. And it is just to easy to make a wrong turn in Italy and you don't want to miss your flight.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM

We rented a car in Rome and then drove through Tuscany, parked at our hotel in Florence and drove on to a town near the airport for an early morning flight. I loved having the freedom to explore in the car, it gave us a real sense of adventure. You can park outside of the hill-top towns and then tour the town. But....Rome is terrible for driving, a nightmare. The small street signs are on the sides of buildings and the road name changes constantly, maps are almost useless. Florence is better but not by much. Outside of the city center most people do not speak English. I would take a train from Rome to Florence and then rent a car outside of the city when leaving to tour Tuscany. Give yourself lots of time.