Shipping Wine/Olives etc. to US

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Cindy ferries

Shipping Wine/Olives etc. to US

Hi
I am planning to be visiting Italy in Sept. I was wondering if anyone had shipped purchases of wine, olives, oliveoil etc to the US and what seems to be the better way of shipping. Postal service, UPS, Fed Ex etc.
Thnks

Jul 24th, 2001, 10:36 AM
aaron

I am going in September and have the same question. I am also wondering about the legality of it and any duties I might have to pay.

Jul 24th, 2001, 10:45 AM
chris

it is against the law to ship wine back to the us from europe(this is not true for olive oil.

However, you can carry back one Liter per person. US customs charges less than a doller per bottle in most cases.
Each state has their own State Liquor Authority which may or may not allow you to bring anythng back.

If you want to shiplarge amounts of wine back(over one case) the winery usually has a US importer they use and will ship the wine to the importer and then the importer will arrange shipment to you.

Bearin mind that the importer takeds his
fee so you may only end up saving 15%
over US prices. Make sure you know what it costs in the US to see if the dsavings ar worth it.

Jul 24th, 2001, 10:56 AM
aaron

Thanks, Chris. I suspected it was illegal to ship booze, but it would have been more convenient than lugging around breakable bottles. Now I just need to fogure out to transport that whole prosciutto home...

Jul 24th, 2001, 11:13 AM
chris

Ona final note I always take bubble wrap
and a small empty carry on suitcase which usually holds 10-12 bottles.

I don't usually declare anything.

Good Luck.

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:43 PM
yeahright

How the hell do you get away without declaring anything when you are smuggling over 10 bottles????????????

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Julie

I returned about 3 weeks from Italy. My brother-in-law brough back 15 bottles wine, 6 bottles each of olive oil and vinegars. He put them all in his carryon. He declared everything - was completely honest. And wasn't charged one dime at customs. I bought two bottles wine and one vinegar in my carryon. The vinegar broke in the Rome airport. But I also listed my two bottles and customs let me through scott-free. I find honestesy is the best policy!

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Cindy Ferries

Thanks for the info.

Jul 24th, 2001, 04:35 PM
topper

Isn't importing "olives, olieoil, etc" what the Corleone family did? Are you sure you want to appear to be "cutting them out of" their hard-working, serious and "legitimate" business (and income)?

Or maybe you like "sleeping with the fishes".

Maybe I shouldn't even be asking these questions.

Don't wanna become

[email protected]

Jul 29th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Jeff

Don't lie going through customs. Don't offer unecessary information, but answer all questions truthfully. Use Pres. Clinton as an excellent example.

Jul 29th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Robin

Cindy,

I went to Italy last October and brought back olive oil, spices, parmesean cheese, wine, etc. They sell all these things at the duty free shop in the Milan airport so I would imagine that they're sold at all airports throughout Italy?? I can't imagine that it makes a difference if you buy it at the airport or somewhere else?

The customs people are obviously fine with this because otherwise why would these items be sold at the duty free shops? To my knowledge the only thing they really cared about were fruits and vegetables.

I'd go for it!

Jul 29th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Rex

To "yeahright"

Bringing ten bottles of wine into the UNITED STATES is not smuggling; the customs officers are FEDERAL agents, and there are no Federal (US) statutes which forbid bringing in wine (in any quantity?) for personal consumption. Failure to declare the value of goods purchased or paying duty IF and WHEN assessed might be a federal offense.

Import of alcoholic beverages falls under the jurisdiction of states, counties or municipalities. Some have reported here on this forum strict experiences with seizure in some states; many others, including myself have had oppostie experiences - - being very obvious about bringing one (or more) dozen(s) of bottles of wines with no duty assessed or paid.

But I continue to believe that shiiping wine home is eother impossible or a good way to never see the wine you purchased ever again. I suspect it would not be much different with olives or olive oil.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 30th, 2001, 07:28 AM
wine-drinker

Actually if you are over your limit of bottles of wine, the cost for custom is very small. Certainly worth the price (less than a couple of bucks as I recall) for a wine you may not be able to get here in the states. Also, lying to Customs may be a temptation, but certainly has a heavy penalty. Most of us "good people" don't lie well and customs will recognize that something isn't quite right with your behavior/actions. On the other hand, if you are like Clinton, no one will ever know when you lie.