shipping wine home from Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Italy the last 2 weeks of October. In Cortona for a week and then a week divided between Florence and Cinque Terra. My son is a wine collector and I would like to know if I will be able to ship some wine home -
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Here is a recent thread on that subject. It will be expensive and may not be worth it unless you purchase wines from small wineries that don't export to the U.S.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34527407
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 04:20 AM

: I did this a few years ago and this is how the winery sent it to me. They Shipped 6 bottles at a time. They Used DHL The cost was approx. 45 euro for 2 cs of six bottles They Mark the lable on the box and shipping sheet Food in glass. I guess to avoid the duty . The winery also sold there own olive oil so I guess that is how they get arround the Duty . I got some Great Super Tuscans And Vin Santo .

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 04:24 AM
ira

>They Mark the lable on the box and shipping sheet Food in glass. I guess to avoid the duty .<

More likely to avoid confiscation at the STATE borders. The duty on wine and spirits has dropped to only 10%, and Customs doesn't care as much as it used to.

However, it couldn't be delivered to me in Georgia, because State law prohibits importation of alcoholic beverages.

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 08:17 AM

ask your government customs before you go as the duty and import license necessary for certain quantities of wine are important.
i only know of a friend who received a notification of a gift .. went to the post office, or wherever and had to actually buy a license or something for the amount of wine a friend sent them from excellent winery.
...as a favor. cost him a fortune.

i would only trust exact info from customs official and post offices might also know how that goes.

certain items UNDER a certain amount are not ever taxed or charged, but once you surpass that legal limit.. you can have to pay more than might make it worth your while.