Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shipping wine from Croatia back to the states?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone has shipped wine from Croatia back to the states? Is this legal? Did the wineries ship it for you or did you find a shipping place and ship it yourself? If you did, did it travel well?

Thank you!!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I've shipped wine back from Italy and unless the Croatian wine is truly the nectar of the gods, I wouldn't plan on shipping it back. Shipping will likely cost somehwere around $125 per case.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I've not shipped from Craotia but I am sure similar rules apply. You can always ship it yourself, for starters. If the winery can ship it for you, even better. If they can box it & you can check it as luggage, also good.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:08 PM

To my knowledge, you cannot ship wine to the US except to a distributor. It isn't worth it to ship--bring it back in checked luggage or if we ever can again, in carryon.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM

We usually just bring a roll of bubble wrap and wrap bottles of wine really well for our flights home. I've never bought wine in Croatia, but we will be there in November and fully intend to bring a few bottles home.

Tracy
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Bring the wine back with your checked baggage. You are allowed 2 bags per person. They make special styrofoam boxes for wine to be brought back in the airplane. You can get them at any winery or wine shop.

If you had to bring it back as excessive baggage, it would be cheaper than shipping. The customs on still wine is minimal.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:17 PM

While I can't speak for Croatia, we had a case of wine shipped back from Italy in May. I'll do it again. given the chance. We selected 2 delicious brunellos. The enoteca handled the shipping (for a fee, of course). The case arrived safely, in about 10 days to our home in the states. Neither of the wines are available here. Hope this helps somewhat...
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:10 AM
ira

Hi D,

Yes, you can ship wine back home unless your State forbids it.

What Croatian wine have you discovered that would be worth the shipping fee?

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who responded! I guess we'll bring bubble wrap with us and try putting it in our checked luggage. We always buy a piece of art when we travel, so I'm wondering if we'll need another suitcase?! We've brought wine back to the US from France like that and it worked ok. We could only fit a couple of bottles though.

Ira - we haven't discovered any great Croatian wine yet.... I want to make sure we have shipping options if we do! I like to plan ahead.

Thanks again everyone!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Ira, Croatia is supposed to have a decent selection of local wines that I am very interested in trying. I intend to bring back several wines. Here is a little info: http://www.vinumusa.com/dalmation_wine_making.htm

Tracy
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM

last year my friend bought a gallery art piece in Hvar. It was rather large so he had the gallery take care of the logisitics of shipping to his home in Philadelphia. It arrived with no problem though a month later than he expected (which concerned him a bit)

I'm a little leary of wrapping bottles of wine and putting them in my suitcase. Have any of you had major breakage doing this? Do you tell the airline your suitcase is filled with wine bottles? Maybe I'll still be able to bring home some Croatian wine and brandy.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Carta, we bring home wine in our checked- in luggage from almost every Europe trip we've been on and haven't had a problem yet. We just pack them really well, and pack our clothes and things around them. Usually our luggage is crammed so full so there isn't a change of them moving anyhow!

Tracy