Shipping to US from NL questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again, we plan on traveling lite on our rather short stay in Belgium and The Netherlands. Whats the best way to ship souvenirs home to the US. Lets say for example a 3’x3’x3’ package.

Thank you again, ur all great advisors:0)
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 02:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A 9 cubic foot package? -- that is a LOT of souvenirs!

But in any case the easiest and likely cheapest way to get that much stuff home is to but a cheap suitcase in Amsterdam before you fly home and pay the checked bag fee if applicable . . .
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Yes but are you flying into and out of say Amsterdam?
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 03:05 PM

Jeeze Louise!!! WHICHEVER city they are flying out of . . .

I ONLY used Amsterdam as an example ... IF they are flying out of Brussels -- they can buy the suitcase there. Or wherever. . .
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
A 9 cubic foot package? -- that is a LOT of souvenirs!

But in any case the easiest and likely cheapest way to get that much stuff home is to but a cheap suitcase in Amsterdam before you fly home and pay the checked bag fee if applicable . . .
Originally Posted by PalenQ
Yes but are you flying into and out of say Amsterdam?
flying into Brussels, then train to Antwep, then train to Bruges, then train to Amsterdam, where we will be flying out of.....
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:18 PM

For the sake of comparison I have here links to sending parcels from the Netherlands and Belgium

https://www.postnl.nl/en/mail-and-pa...tional-parcel/

https://parcel.bpost.be/en/how-send-parcel

In most European countries the national post office is the first port of call when sending things home. However, you might consider splitting your parcels so that size is not overwhelming as there might be price, size or weight restrictions. You might also consider asking whether the vendor will ship internationally as that can work sometimes too.

Lavandula
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:42 PM
J62

3' x 3' x 3' is a 27 cubic foot package, not 9...

by comparison, a large suitcase that's 24" high x 18" wide x 12" deep is 3 cubic feet, so buying one of those won't fit the stuff they plan to buy and ship. They'd need 9 of those large suitcases to fit everything!

by additional comparison a medium (cube) moving box from uhaul, lowes, home depot, etc is ~ 18" on a side, so they plan to fill 8 of those size boxes with items to ship to the US. So stack 2 of those boxes high x 2 wide x 2 deep and you get a 3'x3'x3' cube.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:46 PM
J62

one more comparison - my large front loading washing machine has dimensions 27" x 39" x 33", or about 20 cubic feet, so the box they want to send is larger than a washing machine...
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:47 PM

>>3' x 3' x 3' is a 27 cubic foot package, not 9...<<

Of course -- I knew that as soon as I posted -- but forgot to go back and fix it . . . that is a huge amount of stuff.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:53 PM

I am guessing the contents may be wine or beer - in which case one could ask the vendor to ship. Or ask a liquor shop local to you if they can assist in importing a special order. They are set up to deal easily with duties.

Good luck OP, that is a huge parcel!

Lavandula
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:58 PM

>>They'd need 9 of those large suitcases to fit everything!<<

I'm pretty sure they won't have that much stuff -- a shipping container!

The OP must be seriously over estimating what they plan on buying. How would they even transport it around as they accumulate that much stuff . . . certainly not if they are traveling by train. Even filling one 28 or 30 inch suitcase would be an ENORMOUS quantity.

My original idea is probably the most practical/economical . . . unless they really do mean a washing machine LOL
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:59 PM

Actually, another thought - if the contents were unable to be broken up you could transfer the goods by international removalists, who may be able to give a cheap price if they could get it into a container. We have done this when moving between Belgium and Germany, and to and from Australia. For normal purchases though I would think I would just rein in my purchasing power and buy less!!!

Lavandula
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Im sorry, 27 cu ft is just crazy, yes a medium size suitcase would do :0/
not sure where i was going with that.....
do people take empty suitcases on planes ???
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 06:42 PM

Instead of taking an extra suitcase you could pack a large soft-sided duffle bag, and just transfer to it those belongings of yours that are best able to stand up to being carried in a duffle bag, so if you need the protection of a suitcase for any of your new purchases, you can free up some room in your suitcase in that way. You would also have that little bit of extra space in the suitcase from removing the duffle bag.

Lavandula
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 07:02 PM

>>do people take empty suitcases on planes ???<<

Sure - but then you'd have to lug it all over plus possibly have to pay for the checked bag both ways.

Just buy a cheap medium to large suitcase or duffle bag in your last city. I've traveled with people who have done that several times. A $20/€15 bags and check it.

Another option is if you are buying bulky things have the merchant ship them home for you. They will charge you for the postage, but the VAT will come off the top and mostly cover the shipping costs. And you don't have to lug stuff for days and days.
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 08:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've mailed purchases home by surface mail from all over Europe & Asia, and every box made it. It takes some time so if you aren't in a hurry then I'd recommend it. Or if cost isn't a factor send them by airmail. You can usually buy the supplies (boxes & tape) right in the post office. Since there are post offices everywhere you can unload your items any time, no need to save them up or carry them until the end of the trip.
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Take an extra duffelbag, check that with your laundry on the way back and put the souvenirs in the sturdier suitcase.
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 01:18 PM

I've shipped some extra clothes home from France once, but in a much smaller box and it was still very expensive, around 40 euro as I recall. I got it eventually, sure, but it wasn't that heavy either.

The OP may either be buying lots of textile or clothing stuff, which stakes up a lot of space or big heavy items like people who go to the CR and buy a lot of crystal.

I don't think a case of wine would be considered a "souvenir". And if that were it, the winery would ship it.

I'd go to the Post Office if I had something that big. Because I know United's excess baggage fee is $100 for a regular size suitcase, and that souvenir box would be a lot bigger and perhaps heavier than that. Maybe other airlines are cheaper, but I doubt it.
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 02:32 PM

Christina: >>The OP may either be buying lots of textile or clothing stuff, which stakes up a lot of space or big heavy items like people who go to the CR and buy a lot of crystal . . . I'd go to the Post Office if I had something that big. Because I know United's excess baggage fee is $100 for a regular size suitcase, and that souvenir box would be a lot bigger and perhaps heavier than that<<

The OP came back yesterday and posted she had mis-calculated and they are NOT talking about nearly that much stuff . . .
>>Im sorry, 27 cu ft is just crazy, yes a medium size suitcase would do :0/
not sure where i was going with that.....
<<
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 04:25 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't find any in the Netherlands but when I do ship from Europe to the US, I use mail box etc. What I mail are 2 foldable duffle bags and then some that fits in a 18x18x16 box and weighs under 20 pounds for around $120. It is actually cheaper to check a second bag but who wants another bag? I can even buy the box and put it in my checked luggage. I've done this in the UK, Austria, France and Germany. If you can find the equivalent of a mail box etc then your set. You do have to list out all the items in cost so be prepared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -