Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shipping furniture overseas from U.S. to U.K.

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend in Kent who loved the hickory rockers at an Amish store we went to while she was here in western Pennsylvania. She said they "fit her bottom" better than any other rocker. I just found out she's expecting a baby in September and I would love to send her a rocker as a gift, but everything I've checked into (DHL/UPS/etc) seems horribly expensive. The rocker costs $150 but the shipping looks like it will be somewhere in the $200+ range. I don't care if they send it on the slowest boat they have as long as it gets there before September. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM

What a lovely gift!

My husband and I moved from the US to the UK two years ago and ended up not bringing any furniture with us as it was really expensive. I suggest referring to the forums at http://talk.uk-yankee.com/ - this was an invaluable resource when we were planning our move and they might have another suggestion. $200 actually sounds about right to me for shipping such a large item - what we found was it's really expensive to ship just a couple things, while if you were planning on shipping tons of stuff, you could get a crate on a boat, etc. Good luck!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Pittpurple, Thanks for the suggestion! I checked out the web site and USPS was mentioned so I tried there, and it looks as if they are not too outrageous. I'll probably go talk to the local postmaster/mistress and find out.

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM

I'd also check cargo rates with various airlines. When my SIL lived in England for several years, she found those rates were often much better for smaller items.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Another thing you may want to consider is how much UK Customs is going to charge. It can be anywhere from 3.5% to 7% of the value of the item. DHL/UPS/FedEx etc won't release the item till this is paid by the recipient.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM

There's no UK import duty on most furniture.

BUT the recipient must pay VAT (17.5% of the sum of the chair's declared value, shipping and insurance) and a fee to the shipping agency for managing the VAT payment (varies by shipper).

So on a $150 chair costing $200 to ship, your friend will have to pay at least £30.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

I guess my next question would be - are there any Amish hickory rocker retailers in the U.K.? I did several searches but couldn't seem to find any. Although with the rate of exchange right now, I'm not sure this is such a good idea, either.

Hmmmmm - wonder if it could count as checked luggage? Might even be worth that additional fee USAir is charging.....