Shipping Furniture from Provence??

May 22nd, 2004, 08:11 PM
Original Poster
Shipping Furniture from Provence??

Has anyone ever done this??? I am having a fantasy of buying a french country dining room table (not necessarily antique) a la Pottery Barn -but the real thing<g> in Provence. I dont have a clue as to how much something like that (OR THAT PERFECT ARMOIRE) would be to ship to NY. Any ideas????
May 22nd, 2004, 09:26 PM
It may very well cost as much as the item itself, depending on the size. The vendor of the item should be able to find out approximately how much it would be before you complete the purchase. If they don't already have an idea from experience, they can call a shipper and check.

From Provence, we have used the shipper Christophe Mari of Transports Mari, email address: [email protected], who is well-regarded. From the Clignancourt market in Paris we used Headley's Humpers, also a well-known and reliable company. The first time I handled the customs formalities myself, which was a bit time-consuming. The next time I arranged with the shipper to use their customs agent in the port of arrival. A bit more costly but worth it to me.

In some cases you wind up not saving any money buying in France and shipping pieces home, but every time I look at one of my purchases I'm reminded of the place I found it. You can't put a price on pleasant memories.
May 23rd, 2004, 12:06 AM
Your best bet is to ask the dealer where you purchase the table. Many of them "share" containers and might be able to give you a better price than CHristophe Mari (who I used to use quite frequently).

Shellio is quite correct - the cost of shipping one table will be more than you pay for the table itself ! If you would like telephone or fax numbers for shippers here in Provence, you can contact me by email if you like.

May 23rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster
thanks everyone- that's sort of what I thought-- but would still like to look into it--PB- what is your email address- or please email me at [email protected] and thanks!
May 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
We've shipped to Los Angeles from Provenice (Isles sur Sorge antique area). It was relatively easy, and shop owners will facilitate with shippers. Insurance is a really good idea, though. The more costly the goods the more it is worth it, although the memories are, as they say, "priceless". We have shipped an art deco sideboard from the Paris flea market and wonderful leather club chairs from Ilse sur Sorge. Air shipping is prohibative, but via ship is often much less. We've used Headleys, too, and another firm whose name I don't recall.

The key is finding the item you love, and go from there.

Search this Thread