Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Ship excursions or on your own in the Baltic Cities.
Notices

Ship excursions or on your own in the Baltic Cities.

Apr 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Ship excursions or on your own in the Baltic Cities.

I have finally givin in to my Mother and agreed to a cruise of the Baltics. This being my 1st cruise and trip to the Baltic Cities, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn and St Petersburg, I know very little about where the Ports are located and whether or not it is worth it to arrange to take the Holland America Excursions or plan our own days (with the exception of St Petersburg). We have traveled very well on our own through out most of Eastern Europe, so I'm OK with hailing taxis, local transportation, reading maps etc. When you only have one day in each city, I think we are wasting time waiting for a tour to start. Any insight?
Apr 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM

We did a Baltic cruise last summer and did each port independently except for St. Petersburg and Copenhagen. In St. Petersburg we organized our own independent tour and did not go with one of the ship excursions. We have family in Copenhagen so they took us around.

A poster here named Percy has done a very good and detailed trip report on his Baltic cruise, you can find it if you search under his name. It was very helpful to me in planning what to see in the very limited time you have in each port.

None of the cities we visited on our own were difficult to navigate, and we took took public transportation (bus, trams, trains, ferry) everywhere we went.

The Cruise Critic forums will also offer lots of detailed help in planning your own itineraries if you are so inclined.
Apr 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM

I agree, we did the Baltic cruise last year and did all the cities independantly except for St. Petersburg. We chose to do the ship's (Oceania) tour just for the convenience though I know that many others choose the Russian tour companies with great success. all of the cities are easily reached either on foot or by cab , they were at every port ..we were 4 people from late 60's to early 70's and had no trouble . we liked having the choice of when to leave the ship and when to return by doing it ourselves. It was truly a wonderful trip you will love each city.

Search this Thread