Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sharing information about specific travel related websites and companies (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sharing-information-about-specific-travel-related-websites-and-companies-694707/)

Drus Apr 7th, 2007 05:47 AM

Sharing information about specific travel related websites and companies

Hi,
I just joined this forum yesterday. I want to follow the rules so here's a question related to a bad taste that I have in my mouth after dealing with a US based company before our recent trip to Europe. Things did not work out as well as they should have with this company at a specific point on our trip. Considering what we paid them, I would have expected better service from them and feel that they dropped the ball. I know that I am being vague, but I am trying to get some kind of financial compensation from them so I don't want to get into the details yet. The best thing is that I found out about this company from a Fodor's guide!
So, I want to know, if I do not get any acknowledgement or satisfaction from this company which I have contacted with a very detailed e-mail, is it OK for me to name the company on this forum and describe my unsatisfactory experience with them?

sandi_travelnut Apr 7th, 2007 05:57 AM

There are posts that tell us about unfair practices or broken promises from different types of service companies. As long as you are not associated with a competitive company or not advertising for another company, I think it's important to inform fellow travelers about your experience.

janisj Apr 7th, 2007 05:58 AM

it is always OK to mention names/places etc - as long as it isn't an outrageous/unreasonable rant -- which it doesn't sound like what you have in mind.

Once in a while the Fodors editors will freeze or delete a thread about some company or another - but it doesn't happen often

Welcome to Fodors (it is addictive)

J62 Apr 7th, 2007 06:20 AM

I find it helpful when posters give specific names and websites for companies that they have done business with, good, bad, or otherwise. I do the same, either here, or other places like tripadvisor.com

It is also good to stick to the facts and your own experiences, not try to infer motives. "I was not satisfied with www.lousytrips123.com because ..........." is a usually better than saying "lousytrips123.com is a scam and they are nothing but liars and cheats....."

When I book travel, especially lodging, I look at numerous sites and no single good or bad review will make me change my mind, but a big number either way sure will.

cupid1 Apr 7th, 2007 01:59 PM

Heck, I put out a recent post titled "Horrible Tapestry Travel" because that's exactly what they were. No matter how disgracefully they behaved I couldn't write "Tapestry Travel a Fraud and Cheat" unless this were proven in a court of law.

So as long as you aren't working for a competitor and what you state is your opinion and you stick to facts you should be fine.

I'd love to know if your experience was as awful as ours and yes, other travelers will want to avoid an experience like yours. If you don't name the offendor, we can't know. Also, if they DO provide satisfaction, you should update your post so others can know.