Sharing info re bumping by tour company

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:19 AM
cmt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharing info re bumping by tour company

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34546783

I know someone forwarded the above thread to the compnay involved. It would be nice if there were a thread on which a rep of the company might respond. This thread can give them that opportunity. Or, I wonder whether instead of choosing to respond, they contacted Fodors to ask to have the thread closed.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi cmt,

>I wonder whether instead of choosing to respond, they contacted Fodors to ask to have the thread closed.<

It is beyond the ken of mere mortals to know why a thread might be closed.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:45 AM

I do not understand what the puprose of forwarding the thread was. The person involved got bumped and the company was apparently completely within its own policy of bumping at any time for any reason without the indivdiual having much, if any legal, recourse.

The company undoubtedly lost the goodwill of the individual and apparently doesn't care.

What information would you hope to get from a company representative other than "we make the rules and the individual involved chose to play by them."
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:18 AM

Well, I didn't do the emailing but I am all for it. Companies do seem to care about what people say about them in print. The company may have lost more than a single individual's goodwill; like a stone dropped in water . . .
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:32 AM

OK, folks, I'm the one who alerted OAT about the thread, but didn't forward it to them, only the link to it. One thought was that it is always possible that the company would come back and say something like, "I know who you are, and let me remind you that when you booked two months before the scheduled tour, we told you it would be on a space available basis." I have no idea if that is true or not, but sometimes people don't "hear" what they want to. Anyone from OAT could easily register and post a reply if they were genuinely concerned about customer relations. Perhaps they aren't. If the thread is closed, they still could post a message here. It just seems unfair to NOT get the benefit of a reply -- there are always two sides to every issue. On the other hand, since they have not felt it was worth responding, it may well be that they didn't have any justification for what they did!
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 12:49 PM

If I was a rep for the company, I would never discuss this private business matter in public. One problem is that people often have very different interpretations of the facts.
How is anyone reading this forum really going to know if they are getting straight goods-from either side?
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM

not involved but had to put my two cents in. Considering the time of year, maybe there is no one minding the store at the company and a reply will eventually appear.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 02:22 PM
mms

I just received the latest Conde Nast magazine in the mail today and lo and behold, one of the letters to the ombudsman was about a problem with OAT.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 02:45 PM
ita

re unhappiness with tour company, I have an opposite story to tell. A few years ago a friend and I went on a barge cruise in Burgundy. We happened to get a real bummer of a cabin. To condense the circumstances our air conditioner leaked on one bed even after it was repaired. Our cabin was next to the laundry room, which needless to say made it unbearable without air conditioning. It also happened that our cabin was under the kitchen, so the invitable happened. The dishwasher poured onto my bed. After we located the crew about 2A.M. it was repaired with duct tape )Never leave home without it).

After we returned home I wrote a letter to the company requesting a partial refund of our fare (these tours are expensive). Lo and behold, they offered us another cruise with not restrictions. Perhaps they thought that we wouldn't be able to take the time or have the airfare to come again. But we are both retired and had air points.

Next spring we were off again. We were able to choose our boat and cabin. For sure we did not go on the lower deck and I made sure that there was no plumbing anywhere near (except our bathroom). So it does pay to complain if the complaint is legitimate. Some companies do care about keeping their customers happy.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM
cmt
Original Poster

Have there been any replies from OAT that can be reported here?