Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Shannon to Dublin via Cork (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/shannon-to-dublin-via-cork-505941/)

TomRO Feb 21st, 2005 04:19 PM

Shannon to Dublin via Cork

I am planning our first trip to Ireland in May spending 7 nights. I am driving and would like to see the Cliffs of Moher, the Dingle Penninsula, the Ring of Kerry, Waterford, and other sights along the south shore, and on to Dublin for the last two nights. We are planning on staying at B&B's most nights.

Any suggestions?

NEDSIRELAND Feb 22nd, 2005 05:30 AM

That's a lot of driving for 7-days. I would suggest a counter-clockwise loop from Shannon: to Doolin via the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch continuing south to Killimer to catch the Ferry to Tarbert (County Kerry). Then it's on to Tralee and the Dingle Peninsula and east past the Ring of Kerry into County Cork to Kinsale, Cork City and Waterford.

You'll pass some great golf courses along the way: Lahinch (Clare), the new Greg Norman course near Kilkee (Clare), Ballybunion (Kerry) and Old Head (Cork). When you're heading back north toward Dublin you may pass Mount Juliet G.C. or the courses in Adare, just west of where the road forks

You'll probably arrive Shannon in the early AM, and depart Dublin (for the U.S.?) around midday (with check-in at 10:00 AM or so) so your 7-night stay really just gives you 6 full days to enjoy. When you arrive Shannon, how far you drive before stopping for the night depends on how well you sleep on flights.

nini Feb 22nd, 2005 05:45 AM

I think this is doable. But remember driving is slow--sheep wandering into road, farmer & his cows will assume right of way out of the blue, etc. Ring of Kerry could be long & time consuming. We only drove part of the Ring and itwas slow going--lots of motorcoaches which makes it stressful driving. If you in the area be sure to see the Muckross house. Also other than the crystal factory Waterford is not a pretty place--industrial looking.

wojazz3 Feb 22nd, 2005 08:51 AM

Hi Tom:

It's doable though I might have only spent my last night in Dublin with that small amount of time. Then again, I prefer countryside to city so it's a personal preference. A few suggestions.

Pack very light. As much as I prefer multi night stays, your trip doesn't really allow for it so you'll be dragging luggage in and out every day. Ireland is very casual so you will never need to dress up. Comfortable shoes and comfortable clothing are all you need, though it can be pretty cold at times so have a sweater and a light jacket.

A couple options for itineraries would be (all 1 night stands with the last two assumed in Dublin):

Doolin, Dingle, Kenmare, Kinsale, Kilkenny (the most driving)

Doolin, Dingle, Kenmare, Kinsale, Cahir

Doolin, Dingle, Kenmare, Cahir, Glendalough (Laragh)

Doolin, Dingle, Kenmare, Tramore (to see Waterford if you must) Glendalough

OK, here's one with more driving that I like the most taking a day out of Dublin:

Doolin, Dingle, Kenmare, Crookhaven (Mizen Peninsula), Kinsale, Cahir or Kilkenny and last night in Dublin. Sure it would be a lot of driving but you would hit some pretty cool places and no ridiculously long drives on any day.

I would pick any of those towns over Waterford. Unless you are a huge fan of Waterford Crystal, as nini says, it's a pretty industrial town. As crystal goes, Waterford is not considered the finest, just the biggest. Those are just some suggestions for some big hitters.

In driving from Doolin to Dingle, follow the coast south and then cut across to grab the ferry at Killimer.

Have fun!

Bill

TomRO Feb 24th, 2005 03:56 AM

Thanks to those who responded to my post. How long does it take to drive the route from Shannon - Doolin - Lahinch - Killimer - to Glin? I'll add the time that we spend at the various stops.