Shannon Airport Area

Aug 13th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Shannon Airport Area

I'll visiting in Ireland this fall and will be flying into the Shannon Airport. I was going to stay in Limerick area because it was close to the airport. We also have rented a car. I have been now told I shouldn't stay in that area because it's not safe and a high crime rate after dark. Could anyone help with an area (city) that would be nice and safe to book hotels in? I would like to feel safe to walk around after dark. I city that's not so busy and easy to drive about would be great. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Aug 13th, 2015, 08:09 AM

Check out Ennis or Adare. Perfect to recover from jet lag. Where are you heading after this? You may get different recommendations based on the rest of your plans.
Aug 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

We are going to visit Killarney, Dublin, Limerick,and Cork. We will be traveling to some locations without having rooms at those locations. Any cities you think that are can't miss? We are doing day trips to different areas.
Aug 13th, 2015, 12:31 PM

Thats a little more information than your question on the TA forum which should have convinced you to dump your present advisor's.

What time of year? visiting in July or August without lodgings booked can be ill advised as these months are peak season. It is also inadvisable to visit places during festivals without pre booking.

Are you flying into Shannon out of Dublin? How many days on the ground?

I have already given you Ennis as a great option for your first night, accommodation recommendations require more knowledge such as numbers, preferences and Budget? I generally recommend Grey Gables Guesthouse as being well placed for Town and easy to find if coming in from SNN
Aug 14th, 2015, 08:09 AM

I don't consider Limerick to be unsafe, and would not hesitate about staying there. It's true that the crime rate has been a little higher than most other parts of Ireland, but that difference is due to local problems that won't impact on visitors.

On the other hand, I don't think Limerick has great visitor appeal. It has some good things, like the castle and the Hunt museum, but it's not a standout destination.

I'm not clear on how long you plan to stay in any one place, and how far you would range on your day trips.

Search this Thread