Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shall I go to st andrews for a day trip late dec?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:13 AM
xxx

I will be in Edinburgh for 5 days for the new year (hogmanay). Shall, I takw a day trip to st andrews? Neither my husband or I golf so can still go to enjoy the place?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Sheila

Yes

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:44 AM
janis

Definitely yes. Especially if you can go on Sunday Dec 29. There is no play on the Old course on Sundays so it becomes a huge city park. Even if you are not keen golfers it is interesting to walk out on the course and see the famous views of the Club House, Road Hole, Swilkern burn, etc. The beach that runs parallel to the opening holes is great (where they filmed the famous scenes from Chariots of Fire) plus the cathedral ruins and castle.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Inky

sheila, why so flippant? You need to take some advice from Janis - she's actually been to the places she talks about.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Barbara

Inky, Sheila answered the question, she actually lives in Scotland and I'm sure has been to St. Andrews.<BR><BR>xxx, Definitely go to St Andrews for a day. I hope you will have a car, because it's much simpler that way. You can get there by going through the East Neuk of Fife - stop at the Craw's Nest for lunch. One caveat, if the temperature is freezing, the road by the<BR>castle in St Andrews could be like an ice rink, it was when we were there in Dec. 2000. Wear shoes which are good on ice.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Sheila

Hi, Inky; youhaven't slithereod out from under your rock for a while. Nice to see you're still with us.<BR><BR>It was a straightforward question; thus a straightforward answer. But for what to do in St Andrews in the cold as well as in the sun-<BR><BR>Take a trip underneath the castle in St. Andrews, Fife. It can be a bit of a squeeze so if you are claustrophobic then probably best to pass on this one. John Knox used to live in this castle - also get chance to see the bottle dungeon .<BR><BR>St. Andrews has an ancient university, a cathedral (we do have a lot of them, don't we?) and the home of golf, the Royal and Ancient, and is seriously worth a visit. There is also the British Golf Museum. It has one of the best beaches in the world- the West Sands, which is where they filmed the opening sequence of Chariots of Fire- shame about the weather- and one of the best ice cream shops in the world (Jannetta's) apart from being a lovely little town. <BR><BR><BR>You also have the advantage of being in Fife which is a beautiful county.<BR><BR>And, for the record, Inky, I first went to St Andrews when I was under a year old, and there won't have been a year in the last 45, I haven't visited- most recently on Saturday when I went to visit friends there.<BR><BR>Remind me. When was the last time you gave travel advice, rather than had a hit at someone else?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:34 PM
uhoh

Bulls-eye! Right on Sheila!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Moonbeam

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<BR><BR>You GO Sheila!!!!!!<BR><BR>Let the slime settle to the bottom !! when we want Scotland advice we always know who comes through!!Short and Sweet ...that's the best answer!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:11 PM
nancy

That is one of the things I love about the Scots! Don't waste words!!! <BR><BR> Stinky, oops, Inky, what was that you had to say about St Andrews??? Sorry, I didn't catch it.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:10 PM
janis

I am very nervous - having Inky "on my side" is a scary thing. Sheila - I am sure no one pays any attention (EVER) to Inky's drivel.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:34 AM
curt

Another suggestion for Lunch on the way is to stop in Crail, which I think is the prettiest of the Fife coastal villages, have a walk about, perhaps visit the pottery, and then go to The Golf Hotel and eat in their pub. Very good food, nice local crowd, very warm and cozy, very friendly. My wife and I really enjoyed our lunch there. From Crail on into St Andrews is maybe 10 miles or so.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Dave

Or try "The Grange" on the road out of St Andrews, on the way to Kingsbarns and thence Crail. When I was a student it was considered excellent at the location of choice to have your parents take you to on their occasional visits to their academic sons and daughters.<BR>The cliff walk south from East sands is a good bracing one and you can get to the Rock and Spindle in a bout half an hor before turning back. The R&S is the remains of a volcanic plug... all that's left now the cone has long since been eroded away.<BR>Back in town the Victoria Cfe on Market Street does excellent warming hot chocolate and is a convivial place to brouse the newpapers.<BR><BR>(PS Sheila; touch&eacute;!) <BR>

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Inky

You've been to St Andrews every year for the last 45, sheila? Lies.<BR><BR>I'm not on your side, Janis, I just wont criticize good advice. Sheila's is worthless and misleading at times.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Sheila

xxx, sorry to have got this round about your perfectly innocent question.<BR><BR>And Inky, which year did I miss? Can you tell me that?<BR><BR>You are quite entitled to disagree with my advice but what gives you the right to call it worthless. I don't recall misleading anyone, but no doubt it could have happened. At least I offer advice and don't just slag off other people.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:06 PM
cdr

OK, if the advice on this site is so excellent, suggest a terrific hotel in a great part of London, close to everything. I am all ears!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Inky

I do recall a posting sheila made regarding a department store in edinburh, Jenners, a sort of Scotch Macy's. Sheila recommended the restaurant probably in good faith after having visited there a long time ago. Someone disagreed after having been there the previous week or whatever then sheila changed her mind and - so I've heard - emailed Fodors to get the post removed to hide potential embarassment.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:25 PM
cdr

oh, hush, Inky, unless you've got some advice on hotels - no one is interested in your rendition of some vague exchange. Now, what about a hotel recommendation?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Sheila

Unfortunately you don't recall at all, Inky.<BR><BR><BR>I did call Jenner's, as they do themselves "the Harrods of the. North" and Tony H pointed it that Harrods is the "Jenner's of the South". The lady who made the post you referred to was called meg. I've never taken tea at Jenner's (that was the topic), and have never commented on it.<BR><BR>The most disparaging thing I've ever said about it is<BR><BR> <BR>Author: Sheila ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/19/2001, 06:26 pm<BR>Message: I poo-pooed Jenners? I love it. I just think it's stupidly expensive, and to a degree, done for the tourists."<BR><BR>And, for the record, I've NEVER asked Fodor's to pull a thread. Mind you, you're tempting me<BR><BR><BR> <BR>