Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Shakespeare's Birthday (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/shakespeares-birthday-699226/)

PamR Apr 23rd, 2007 05:43 AM

Shakespeare's Birthday

Shall I be the first to wish you Anglophiles out there a Happy Shakespeare's Birthday?! Unfortunately I just read that that date is in dispute. But since they still celebrate it in Stratford, I'm going with it. Enjoy the day!

audere_est_facere Apr 23rd, 2007 05:47 AM

It's also the annniversary of his death - which is tidy at least. (also of Cervantes - he and billy S were born and died on the same day)

missypie Apr 23rd, 2007 05:49 AM

Thank you so much. In college, I had a poster on my wall of William Shakespeare....I used to decorate it for holidays...Santa cap, Easter bunny ears, etc.

PalenQ Apr 23rd, 2007 06:46 AM

Let's see... the date is in dispute - who actually wrote the Bard's plays is in dispute - it's all in dispute, including the authenticity of some of the 'Shakespeare Properties' in Stratford that Bard devotees pay homage in going to visit.

kenderina Apr 23rd, 2007 06:57 AM

Yes, in Spain it's Book's day. It means you can buy books with a discount today :) And in many places, St George is celebrated too.

PalenQ Apr 23rd, 2007 07:01 AM

<It's also the annniversary of his death - which is tidy at least. (also of Cervantes - he and billy S were born and died on the same day)>

i think the calendar was readjusted after the 1500 and 1600s because it was off by a few weeks - so adjusting for that the actual celebration of his death or birth would not be today.

Kate Apr 23rd, 2007 07:11 AM

But that would spoil the symmetry of today being both Bill's birth and death day and our national Saint's day.

I'm sticking with this one.

flanneruk Apr 23rd, 2007 07:40 AM

Kate: You're confused.

If the non-existent St George got martyred on April 23 - even tough we don't give a dragon's halitosis about saints - and the Shakespeare who pretended to write Bacon's plays got born on April 23, then both dates were 11 days out in 1752, when we moved our calendar to fit with the rest of the known world.

The complication is Cervantes. If audere's right (not usually the most dependable of assumptions, but let's go with it), he and Bill were both born on the same day.

But halfway through Cervantes' life, in 1582, the Pope-ridden parts of Europe changed the calendar by TEN days (because we faffed around so long refusing to follow the rest of Europe, the goalposts had moved by the time we got round to it. Or the devious Continentals had pulled a fast one. Either way,, what's new?). So the Aptil 23 he died on was a different April 23 from the one Shakespeare died on.

I think.

Josser Apr 23rd, 2007 07:42 AM

who actually wrote the Bard's plays is in dispute -

Only to the mentally fragile together with the identity of Jack the Ripper and what happened to the Marie Celeste.

BTW, last year Google UK celebrated Saint George but completely ignored poor Willy Wagstaffe.
They have ignored both this year, so let's raise a glass to both.

audere_est_facere Apr 23rd, 2007 08:02 AM

I've never understood why Bacon didn't put his own name on the plays if he wrote them.

Shakespeare was jolly good on Dr Who though.

PalenQ Apr 23rd, 2007 08:08 AM

audere est farce: Are you on The Bill?

PatrickLondon Apr 23rd, 2007 09:52 AM

He hasn't left EastEnders under a cloud, so it's hardly likely.

audere_est_facere Apr 24th, 2007 12:55 AM

audere est farce: Are you on The Bill?>>>>

I'm not - but my house has been.

PalenQ Apr 24th, 2007 06:02 AM

waz that the drug den i saw them raiding?

audere_est_facere Apr 24th, 2007 06:17 AM

Cheeky yankee! The Bill is filmed in SW London so all sorts of places around where I live make up the outside shots.

My house was the house of a young girl who had been killed by a hit and run driver.

I got £150 for that.

My neighbours house was a brothel.

In my professional capacity I have also run the "Jasmine Allen Estate" which is actually the Aylesbury Estate in Walworth. We used to tidy it up and then the Bill would come down to film and demand it was made grotty again.

Nowadays I am based next door to the BBC in White City - so have all sorts of dealings with them.

PalenQ Apr 24th, 2007 06:42 AM

Well it's Yankee - proper respect please from brits!

audere_est_facere Apr 24th, 2007 06:50 AM

Septics

PalenQ Apr 24th, 2007 06:58 AM

tanks