Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seville to Madrid - AVE tix - ok to leave for last minute ?

Old May 4th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Seville for 4 days(May 9-13) . Is it ok to pick up the AVE tickets to Madrid while we are there ? I know I can pick them online too- but I rather wait to purchase while I ma there - wondering if that is advisable ??

Thanks
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM

we did the reverse, buying AVE tickets for cordoba and seville while we were in madrid--it was a saturday morning, and we booked tickets for a monday and wednesday with no problems, so i'd say you should have no problem...
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:27 PM

You shouldn't have any problems. You can even buy the tickets at Madrid Barajas Airport when you arrive - there's a RENFE office in the arrivals area.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:28 PM

OOPS. I read your post wrong - you're going to Seville first. Either way, you should be fine buying your tickets in Seville.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:31 PM

When I was in Seville, all the second-class tickets were sold out for either the train I wanted and maybe the next couple. I ended up paying for first-class.

Can't recall which day -- I think a Saturday. (Morning.) I showed up at the train station and just asked for the next available train.

Old May 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM

I'm not sure what the dates are for el Puerto de Santa Maria's feria de Primavera; but the feria del Campo and Romeria al Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio will be peaking Pentecost weekend (May 15 & 16). Thousands of people come down from Madrid to participate (incl. my wife's brother's widow who dances Sevillanas with a group from Madrid along the way). Most of that traffic will be southbound; so you shouldn't have any problem going northbound.

Buy your Tix & Reservations when you are in Madrid (or, when you are in Sevilla, a day or two early).
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 11:44 PM

There are many schedule options for tickets. Buying them on-site would be fine. Have a great time in Sevilla. Now my favorite city (bumped Florence to #2!)
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Last minute depends on when you want to go. For example, Friday evening reservations during the summer or vacation times might be sold out a few days ahead, but if you are traveling midweek, you are probably safe by buying that day.

BTW, if you want to avoid the lines at the station, go to any travel agency and
they will sell you a ticket at no extra cost. If your Spanish isn't good enough to feel real comfortable with this, try to have names, times and dates written to easy the transaction.

When I have been in this situation, I can tell the clerks don't really want to
deal with me because they anticipate the language hassle, but after they discover I speak Spanish, it is very easy...so I know if one can do something
to facilitate the transaction, everyone
is happier.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 08:16 PM

as far as I know, all travel agencies now charge for every single thing they do here.. but it is a nominal 5 or 10 euro fee.

El corte ingles charges per transaction.. not ticket, when dealing with train tickets. They have a free interpreter service which I have heard is not very consistent, but at least they try and are open during lunch and much later than travel agencies.

You can also book by phone with help of hotel, give them your credit card number and pick up at customer service a few hours before departure.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:03 AM

I second the suggestion from Martytravels. Buying the tickets at the RENFE office in the airport is very convenient. When we did it, there was no line and it could not have been easier.