Town near Paris for a few days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
wug
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Town near Paris for a few days

Hey fodorites,

I'm going to be working in France and plan to take about four days on my own once my work is done. I lived in Paris many years ago and have been back a lot. I LOVE Paris! I'm trying to decide if I should spend those days on my own in Paris or head by train somewhere within a couple hours from Paris.

I'll be traveling alone and if I go somewhere outside Paris, I'd like it to be convenient without a car. A place I can get around easily, maybe do some hiking/walking, something active. And, of course, wine! My work will end up at the train station at CDG so I'll be right there ready to either take the RER into Paris or take the train somewhere else. Some relaxing time will be in order too, since my work will be fairly hectic. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM

Hi Wug,

Check out Ina Caro's PARIS TO THE PAST: TRAVELING THROUGH FRENCH HISTORY BY TRAIN. She suggests so many destination convenient to Paris. The furthest one is La Rochelle which she says is fabulout but I have never been there.

Lucky you to spend so much time in France...
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
wug
Original Poster

Thank you Latedaytraveler! I'll check it out. And, you're right! Lucky me! I definitely know how lucky I am.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:05 PM

What about Fontainebleau?
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
wug
Original Poster

VickyO, I've actually thought about Fountainbleu. Would it keep me occupied for three or so days!
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 04:02 AM
ira

Hi wug,

>I LOVE Paris! I'm trying to decide if I should spend those days on my own in Paris or head by train somewhere...<

Why?
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 04:42 AM

Go to Lyon or Dijon or Beaune? Many places are "near" Paris via the TGV.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 05:08 AM

I agree with Gretchen that if you need someplace to keep you occupied for three or four days a place like Fontainebleau probably wouldn't work. Dijon, Beaune and Lyon are all good suggestions as would be Strasbourg, Rennes or any other small city within a few hours by rail from Paris (if you want to keep your rail travel to a few hours). Just google the tourist office websites for these places and you'll find out everything you need to know about what to see and do there as well as places nearby that you can visit (plus hiking, biking, wine, gastronomy etc.). If you stayed in Dijon or Beaune there are bike trails you can take through the vineyards and since that's wine country you'd get your wine fix. You could do the same thing in the Loire and maybe stay in Tours, making day trips from there to some of the château or towns nearby such as Chinon etc. There are affordable mini-van tours that run out of the tourist office in Tours (look on their website) that will take you to various château or vineyards to do wine tasting. There are literally several dozen options for the question you asked.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 06:19 AM
wug
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I'll look into these options.

Ira, you ask why I'm thinking about going outside of Paris if I love Paris. Good question. Mostly because I've been there so many times, usually add Paris to vacations if possible, even if going to Greece. But also because my work will have me there for four days already this trip, working of course, so not necessarily doing the things I would be doing if I were on my own.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 06:32 AM

I would recommend the Loire Valley, staying in Blois rather than Tours which isn't nearly as pretty. You can cycle and also take convenient shuttles to the châteaux. Great wine tasting at Vinomania in Blois by Virginie who connects up the history of the Loire with the region's many wines. Blois has a beautiful forest to hike in. Blois is 1 1/2 hours by train from Paris.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM

I loved Fontainebleu and you could combine it with Barbizon, which is so charming...but 2 days there would be plenty.

I would hit Reims and Epernay and drink my weight in champagne! Or plan several day trips from Paris...Giverny, Reims, Chartres, Barbizon, Amboise....lots to do and still be in Paris at night.