Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seville, south spain too hot early September? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seville-south-spain-too-hot-early-september-1669427/)

janpre Jul 14th, 2019 02:56 PM

Seville, south spain too hot early September?

Hello,
We are planning a 2 week trip to Seville and southern Spain for the first 2 weeks of September, I am wondering if it's simply too hot to go then. Has anyone been there around this time and can comment on this? We plan to start in Seville, onto Rondo, Nerja, Granada and Madrid in a 2 week period from Canada. In past years we have visited the South of Italy, Greek Islands, South of France during this time period and enjoyed the hot weather and swimming in the ocean, however, it seems Spain is quite a bit hotter from what I am reading. I am making sure that we have a pool or are staying near the ocean to ensure we can cool off. We don't have that kind of heat where I live but it is quite humid which can make it feel pretty hot sometimes. As an alternative, we could start in Barcelona and travel the northern Spanish coastline and head to Southern France, however, we are most set on going to the southern Spain as we have never been. Thanks in advance!

danon Jul 14th, 2019 03:15 PM

I can only speak for the last week in August..it was 90- 100 + F in Andalusia and Madrid.
(Nothing comparable in Canada in my experience.)
Many stores close in the afternoon. Malaga is a nice city by the sea.

Barcelona and the north are wonderful but a very different part of Spain .

kja Jul 14th, 2019 05:45 PM

People differ greatly in their tolerance for heat. You might want to consult weatherbase.com, which will allow you to see how typical temperatures in Andalusia compare with other places you've visited at that time of year.

cruiseluv Jul 14th, 2019 08:10 PM

Don't know about first two weeks of Sept, but when I was there last week in June ( to me the equivalent of 2nd week in Sept) , it was excruciating. However, everybody it's different. It's also a dry heat

Traveler_Nick Jul 14th, 2019 09:09 PM

I've been end of July/early August. Roll the dice and tell me what the weather gods are delivering and I can answer. The day I arrived the heat wave had just broken and Seville was cooler than the south of France or Barcelona. The week before had been into the 40s.

You don't say which Greek islands but the southern Greek islands can be HOT. I've experienced mid 40s on Rhodes. Seville in September won't be that hot and with luck will likely only be in the low 30s.

But as mentioned it really depends on your tolerance. Dry heat doesn't bother me much. But even low 20s with high humidity bothers me greatly.

Egbert Jul 19th, 2019 11:56 AM

You never know, some years you might get lucky and it will be in the low to mid 90's.

elbegewa Jul 23rd, 2019 08:16 PM

In the shoulder seasons temperature can vary significantly during the course of a month.
A good source for average temperatures, precipitation, humidity, cloud cover, etc., incl. % probability from day to day during a month, complete with easy to read graphics, is at WeatherSpark.com ... for example: for Seville: https://weatherspark.com/y/34152/Ave...ain-Year-Round

HoheClaude Jul 24th, 2019 02:33 AM

Last time I went there, it was in late September/early October 2017 and it wasn't too hot, at least not for me (and I struggle a lot with heat :nervous: ) but this year, since Summer as we know it is only starting, it might be hotter that usual.

cdnyul Jul 24th, 2019 03:09 AM

8.4 million people live in Andalusia, and most of them don't bring their lives to a grinding halt because of the weather.

Go, pick up the rhythm of the locals, don't behave like a mad dog or englishman and enjoy.

Get up early, walk on the shady side of the street, take a siesta, come out late at night.

danon Jul 24th, 2019 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cdnyul (Post 16958628)
8.4 million people live in Andalusia, and most of them don't bring their lives to a grinding halt because of the weather.

Go, pick up the rhythm of the locals, don't behave like a mad dog or englishman and enjoy.

Get up early, walk on the shady side of the street, take a siesta, come out late at night.

you must have some great tips for those visiting Winnipeg in the winter

cdnyul Jul 24th, 2019 01:11 PM

<<you must have some great tips for those visiting Winnipeg in the winter>>

I do.
Adapt.

You are welcome.

twk Jul 24th, 2019 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by janpre (Post 16953191)
Hello,
We are planning a 2 week trip to Seville and southern Spain for the first 2 weeks of September, I am wondering if it's simply too hot to go then. Has anyone been there around this time and can comment on this? We plan to start in Seville, onto Rondo, Nerja, Granada and Madrid in a 2 week period from Canada. In past years we have visited the South of Italy, Greek Islands, South of France during this time period and enjoyed the hot weather and swimming in the ocean, however, it seems Spain is quite a bit hotter from what I am reading. I am making sure that we have a pool or are staying near the ocean to ensure we can cool off. We don't have that kind of heat where I live but it is quite humid which can make it feel pretty hot sometimes. As an alternative, we could start in Barcelona and travel the northern Spanish coastline and head to Southern France, however, we are most set on going to the southern Spain as we have never been. Thanks in advance!

No one can say with any certainty what the weather will be when you make your trip, but you should plan on it being hot. You talk about enjoying swimming in the ocean at hot weather destinations, but you only mention one coastal city in your in itinerary.

We did Andalusia in October of last year and it was great--pleasant weather (we were lucky and mostly dodged the rain in what was, I believe, an unusually wet October for the country), and the shoulder season crowds were smaller. To me, that was one of the optimal times to go to this region (Spring being other). If you do go in September, be prepared for the heat--don't over plan a given day, and allow yourself a break from the heat mid afternoon.

Alec Jul 24th, 2019 04:31 PM

I always go to Andalucia in the first two weeks of September and the weather is usually, but not invariably, sunny and hot. In inland cities like Seville and Cordoba, it can still touch 40C (104F), but along the coast, the sea breeze keeps the temperatures to low 30C (90F). Average inland would be around 32-35C, on the coast around 25-30C. It's dry heat with low humidity, so it's bearable by walking in the shade, and sitting in the shade can be quite pleasant. Use plenty of sunblock and wear a hat. If it rains, it's likely to be a short burst with thunderstorm. I like September as it's still summer but without the overcrowding of July/August (kids back at school).

StCirq Jul 25th, 2019 03:55 AM

Heading to "southern France" isn't likely to change the scenario, though September weather can be variable all over southern Europe.

It's 42C here today, bloody hot! One makes do and drinks a lot of cold water and stays indoors in the middle of the day.

Only you can say if it will be tolerable or not.

danon Jul 25th, 2019 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq (Post 16959182)
Heading to "southern France" isn't likely to change the scenario, though September weather can be variable all over southern Europe.

It's 42C here today, bloody hot! One makes do and drinks a lot of cold water and stays indoors in the middle of the day.

Only you can say if it will be tolerable or not.

It is 39 in London today we bettter get used to
hot weather.. Period.

crellston Jul 25th, 2019 05:48 AM

We lived for a year in Andalusia in a small town 30km north of Malaga (in a house without zircon). September was bearable as but we did join our neighbours in adopting the Siesta lifestyle between 2 & 5 pm. The temps are high but humidity is low so it is a little easier to get used to it. Avoid the mid day and early afternoon sun and most people will be able to cope ok.