Seville - Ronda - Granada

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seville - Ronda - Granada

In March, we plan to drive from Seville to Ronda, spend a night and then drive to Granada. Is 2 days and 1 night enough for this trip?

Day 1 - We will checkout, pickup a rental car from Seville in the morning then head onto Ronda. How long will this take on a scenic route thru the Pueblos Blancos? Is Acros a good mid-point stop? What are the other must-do stops?

Day 2 - After exploring Ronda, check out, and head onto Granada. How long will this take on a scenic route thru the Pueblos Blancos? Which are good stops along this route? We want to get to Granada by mid-afternoon so we have time to park, checkin and get ourselves situated before the night tour. We are spending 2 nights in Granada.

Is this plan too rush for Pueblos Blancos? Would it be better to add a night to Ronda?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Forget the Pueblos Blancos. They are vastly overrated and a complete waste of time.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

My guidebooks only suggest routes for Pueblos Blancos between Seville and Ronda. So is there no white hill towns between Ronda and Granada?

Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Those are the white towns in the Sierra de Cadiz. Those around Ronda(Igualeja, Cortes de la Frontera) are off-the-path. From Ronda to Granada, you pass Teba and Campillos, bigger and without the charm of the white towns, though they deserve visiting. But the main visit from R. to Gr. should be Antequera, big as Ronda in size, but very different in its monuments.
The white towns do deserve a visit, especially if you choose Arcos de la Frontera, Grazalema and Zahara.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent several days taking it easy in Ronda, and thought it was definitely worth a visit. Spectacular site, I enjoyed the Mondragon Palace, and I ate rather well. I took the train on to Granada, and found the ride rather boring.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

josele, thanks for your suggestions.

My plan on day 1 is to drive from Seville to Arcos for lunch, then photo stops in Grazalema and Zahara before settling the night in Ronda.

After exploring on day 2, we'll head east with your suggested stop Antequera for lunch? before continuing to Granada. How long is the drive from Ronda to Granada?

With this schedule, I'm trying to decide if I need 1 or 2 nights between Seville and Granada.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM

We did something similar - if you want to stop between Seville and Ronda, I'd recommend Zahara. Very tiny, authentic, fun olive oil/winery to visit right off the highway. Wonderful views, etc. I really was underwhelmed with Ronda (and Granada) but that is just me.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM

We spent 2 nights in Granda, drove to Ronda and spent one night. The next day we drove through Grazalema, Arcos de la Frontera and then on to Seville.

Ronda is beautiful, stay in the historic section. Grazelema is very quaint and in a great location. Arcos was a letdown after Ronda.

The drive between Ronda and Granada is beautiful.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks InMiami. Did you feel that was enough time to do the region justice?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM

It may be a little short time,especially with pleasant weather, you will not have time for Ronda. I'd recommend two nights in Ronda, ore one in Zahara and one in Ronda. Good idea driving to lunch in Arcos. Choose the Parador (views to the crag) or the Marques de Torresoto.
It's been suggested overnight in Zahara, there is a good new hotel Arco de la Villa, if you decide this option. (perhaps you can arrange a flight Granada to Madrid to Your Destination, and skip the boring drive to Madrid).

In Antequera there is a good restaurant right below the bull ring, which perhaps they may show you. Another place I recommend is El Angelote, very near the local Museum. Parking is a bit difficult, and do not leave luggage in view in the car, just in case.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:59 AM

carcassone

Check out viamichelin.com for 'driving directions' if you want help with driving time estimates. (Other sites are mappy.com, maporama.com). The times are reasonably accurate, but remember that you will want to add in stopping time.

We detoured from Antequera to La Torcal, which is a park with unusual rock formations and a splendid view. If memory serves, it took us about 90 minutes to drive from Granada to Antequera.

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Carcassone, yes that seems like enouph time.
BTW, be careful visiting the area around the historic baths in old Ronda after closing hours. I had heard there was trouble there on occasion and indeed we did see some suspicious people hanging around there. Problems in paradise!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Whatever you do DON'T forget the pueblos blancos--they are truly amazing--like stepping back in time into another age, so magical, yet so real. I'm not really sure of those that are within your driving area, but suggest you check out maribelguides.com and see what she has to say (or maybe she'll magically appear here as she sometimes does.)