Seville neighborhoods

Nov 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Seville neighborhoods

Is anyone familiar with the area around San Esteban church in Seville? We're considering staying in an apt. there but can't get a handle on how far it is from the main attractions/center of town. The website says it is near "Antigua Puerta de Carmona". Want to make sure it's in a safe area, preferably walking distance to attractions, restaurants, etc.

Thanks for any help!
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:29 PM

The last time we were in Seville we stayed in a neighborhood across the river from the old part of the city and it was a BIG mistake. If you are going to Seville to see the sights, book a place near the sights.
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

I feel your pain, Happytrails... that's what I'm trying to avoid, especially without a car! This San Esteban area isn't across the river and looks fairly close to everything, but it's just so hard to tell for sure on the map...
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Calle+...3n+San+Esteban)

This street is near to the Santa Justa train station. Actually it's nearer to the center of Sevilla but the closest point of reference is the train station.

Walking to the best sites--it depends on how much can you handle. I can walk that distance and more but maybe you need to call a taxi. The area is a nice place to walk in Sevilla. Certainly it's better to take a taxi heading home but walking during the day it's perfectly safe.

If you walk towards the Barrio Santa Cruz you're going to see some "real" Sevilla neighborhoods. Stop along and have a few tapas in the myriad amount of bars in Sevilla. The food is cheap and there's a bag of ambience where you stop.

Have a good trip.

Blackduff
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM

The location is very good, very near the Casa de Pilatos, a must-visit. If you have not a detailed city map, consider San Esteban aprox. midway from Santa Justa station to the bull ring.
Nov 15th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice and input! I've reserved the 2-br San Esteban apt. through Sevilla5.com -- can't wait! I just wish we could stay longer -- we get there on Dec. 23 & have to catch an afternoon flight on Dec. 26 to make our next-day connection in Paris. With the holidays, I'm afraid we won't get to see everything we'd like, but guess that just means another trip will have to be planned soon...
Nov 15th, 2006, 11:54 PM

As you'll be near, do not miss the visit to Casa de Pilatos, with a SPECTACULAR courtyard with fountain, statues and tilework, recently cleaned, plus the gardens. You can skip the upper floor (guided tour with separate extra fare, only rooms with furniture).
Nov 16th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Ian

The Casa Pilatos Courtyard mentioned above: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3.../pilatos-1.jpg

I agree, a must visit.

Ian
Dec 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM

Hola!
I return to Seville yearly. Your location is perfect for walking to all the sights. Sevilla 5 lists distance in minutes that is very accurate for how long it will take to walk to the sites. Assuming you do not have any special needs. Let us know how the apartment is. I have been dealing with Sevilla5 for a number of years and have not been disappointed yet. As a matter of fact I have the same apartment you will be visiting booked for the summer of 2007.

Search this Thread