Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seville-Hotel Amadeus (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seville-hotel-amadeus-254864/)

Marcia Aug 31st, 2002 06:23 PM

Seville-Hotel Amadeus

Earlier thread recommended Hotel Amadeus in Seville and said it had been highly reviewed in the British Conde Nast Traveler. Cannot find it listed anywhere. Come & gone? anyone know or have a reference? Thanks!<BR>Marcia

Maribel Sep 1st, 2002 06:34 AM

Hi Marcia,<BR>That was me (and Olga posted about it last yr.-may be able to pull it up with a text search). You can see the Amadeus at<BR>www.hotelamadeussevilla.com<BR>From my new Footprint Andalucia guide:<BR><BR>"As its name suggests, this hotel in a beautifully restored 18th c building with antique furnishings was designed with musicians in mind. Some rooms have stereos with classical music or a piano. With a grand piano in the main reception area, impromput evening concerts are common. Rooftop terrace with superb views. "<BR>On Farnesio 6 in Barrio Santa Cruz<BR>phone: 9546501443<BR>fax: 954500019<BR><BR>(I received your email and have a couple of ideas-will send them on shortly)<BR>

Marcia Sep 1st, 2002 08:45 AM

Thanks so much! I had searched for this on the web six ways for Sunday. Don't know what my problem was - vagaries of web searches and links! Marcia

Maribel Sep 1st, 2002 10:18 AM

Marcia,<BR>This is the post I was referring to, in case you didn't find it:<BR><BR>Author: olga ([email protected])<BR>Date: 02/01/2002, 07:20 am<BR><BR>Message: <BR>I recently was given a tour of the Amadeus hotel by the owner adn it is <BR>very cute and charming. It«s a mom and pop place, well actually a mom and daughter place. The mother runs the housekeeping and maintenance and the daughter the front desk and reservations.<BR>The have a very nice suite with a jacuzzi in the middle of the room.<BR>The only drawback is they don«t have a lot of extra services. They don«t have a restaurant or even breakfast, but they can order breakfast delivered to your room from the bar next door.<BR>They have parking arrangements nearby, also. <BR>The hotel has a musical theme, all the rooms have famous musicians or operas names adn they are soundproofed. The even have a practice room for musicians and they offer free small concerts once or twice a week in the little salons they have on the ground floor and the central courtyard, which also has a piano.<BR>The location is great, right in the center, and from the rooftop terrace<BR>(with solarium) you can see a great view of the Cathedral and many church belltowers in the area.<BR><BR>

Maribel Sep 2nd, 2002 02:49 PM

Marcia,<BR>I was just reading an article on Seville in the Sept./Oct. "Saveur", written by George Semler, the author of Fodor's Barcelona to Bilbao (I read everything he writes re Spain-he's currently writing the new Fodor's Andalucia). He recommends the Amadeus and says it's "a haven in the heart of Seville".<BR><BR>In a cover story about Seville this month in N. Geographic Traveler, <BR>the author recommends a newly opened hotel, the Alcantara (I hadn't heard of it)-"quiet, modern rooms simply decorated, with stripped pine floors and painted headboards. It's a good choice for families, with rooms in all sizes. $67-138".<BR>www.hotelalcantara.net<BR><BR>Thought I'd pass both reviews on to you.

panvan Sep 2nd, 2002 11:50 PM

Marcia, I'm staying there in two weeks time and will post a report on it. The ladies who run it were very responsive and helpful when we booked, and even reserved parking for us since they have a few private spaces nearby. You may also check out the website www.sevilla5.com which lists some apartments. We would've rented one of those -- they look gorgeous, cost about as much as a hotel and are in Santa Cruz -- but they were booked for our dates. We're looking forward to the Amadeus though.

Heidi Sep 3rd, 2002 05:31 AM

I am actually trying to decide between the Hotel Becquer (tried and true, according to recommendations here), Hotel Amadeus (availability permitting), and Hotel Alcantara in mid-October. Does anyone else have more information about Amadeus or Alcantara? Maribel has been very helpful, as always!

Maribel Sep 3rd, 2002 07:18 AM

Heidi,<BR>It's me yet again!<BR><BR>I was curious about the Alcantara and just found it listed as one of the selections of Inns of Spain. I've booked several small country hotels with them and have been pleased. But the Alcantara gets a "1 flower " (out of 4) rating, which means it's a simple, modest property. I've only stayed at the "3 flower" ones. You can read the description and see pictures at the link below, but before choosing the Alcantara, I'd email Nick at Inns of Spain and ask him to compare it to the other Seville area properties he has listed. (Those high season rates are for Holy Week and Feria).<BR><BR>http://www.innsofspain.com/hotelview...urrency=3&PG=1

Heidi Sep 3rd, 2002 08:37 AM

Thanks Maribel--I don't know what I'd do on this site without you.<BR><BR>I actually stumbled across the Alcantara through the Inns Of Spain site, and it does indeed look pleasant, but simple. Do you think Nick would mind comparing for me? I feel slightly "cheeky" for asking, but I do want to stay somewhere with a bit of warmth and character--something a bit nicer than a glorified dorm room. The price quote was great for Alcantara though, $80 per night (breakfast excluded).<BR><BR>Unfortunately, most of the top-rated places are already booked for that week (12 October through 16 October). If the Amadeus is indeed booked (it seems to have location, charm, and great price--everything we want), then dorm city here we come!<BR><BR>(Although my husband says go ahead and "splurge" on Becquer.)<BR>Thanks again Maribel. I may e-mail Nick for advice.

Marcia Sep 3rd, 2002 10:00 AM

Many thanks to everyone for not only pitching in on the original question, but adding lots of info to it.<BR>Marcia