Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seville (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seville-735490/)

krisa02 Sep 10th, 2007 11:17 AM

Seville

Will be staying in Madrid for 3 days in November. Would it be possible to take the train to Seville for the day?

PalenqueBob Sep 10th, 2007 11:29 AM

Yes about two hours

i recommend Cordoba instead - about 1.5 hr by high-speed AVE train - smaller than Seville but just as old and cute - maybe more but more easily managed in a day

Of course Toledo right on Madrid's doorstep would be my top recommended day trip from Madrid - less than hour by frequent trains

Aleta Sep 10th, 2007 12:59 PM

Just for the day frankly not worth it. There is so very much to see in Madrid in 3 days, and other places like Avila or Toledo that are more realistic day trips. Seville and Madrid both deserve more for and from you. We all have our opinions, but Seville is tops over Cordoba

isabel Sep 10th, 2007 01:52 PM

Since it is only 2 hours each way it is of course "doable". It is expensive though (the train tickets) for a day trip, and as others have said there is so much to see that you need several days to "see" it. But if a day trip is all you've got, and you really want to see Seville, I say go for it. It's my favorite place in Spain. On the other hand, if you just want a "worthwhile" day trip from Madrid, Toledo at a half hour train ride or Segovia at less than an hour bus or train ride would be easier to manage as they are both smaller than Seville, and very worthwhile in themselves. Read up on all three of them and decide if the extra time and expense are worth it to you to go to Seville. Is it likely that you'll be back to Spain in the near future? Where else are you going beisdes Madrid? I have photos of all these ciites at www.pbase.com/annforcier if looking at photos can help you decide which "grabs" you most.

krisa02 Sep 10th, 2007 02:27 PM

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and help

NEDSIRELAND Sep 11th, 2007 01:42 AM

Yes! Been there; done that! AVE (25% discount on 'same day return') takes 2.5 hours Madrid-Sevilla w/departures at 06:30 & 07:30. We took the 07:30 & arrived Sevilla Santa Justa at 10:00, then returned on AVE at 20:00, arr. Madrid Atocha at 22:30.

Ask for the 'Same day return' discount when you buy your Tix / Reservations. Some Renfe Agents (esp at Barajas) may try to sell you two one-way tix.

AVE has three time-of-day based fares (Valle, LLano, Punto). The 06:30 out of Madrid's Puerta de Atocha will be the cheapest (Valle). Look for other Promotional fares like Club Duo.

PalenqueBob Sep 11th, 2007 06:54 AM

I too feel Seville is better than Cordoba IME but is much larger and its gems require more time than a half-day

but Cordoba is more compact and on limited time may be preferable - still an awesome city with the old mosque now a cathedral and lots of old parts and an un-Godly number of old churches.

Seamus Sep 11th, 2007 07:09 AM

We did Seville as a day trip via AVE from Madrid and it was enjoyable, though I would have liked more time (but that is what the schedule allowed.) With only three days, I would probably just concentrate on Madrid but it's a matter of your own preference and traveling style.

cruiseluv Sep 11th, 2007 10:04 AM

If you think you will not have another opportunity in the future to go, why not? My parents ( which aren't that young) did it a couple of years ago and enjoyed their day there.