Reload this Page >

Sevilla, Spain -- Flamenco (Los Gallos)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:36 PM
Eric

We're trying to find a flamenco venue in Sevilla next month. We would like to not have to be up till 2am to experience it. From other sources I have heard about Tablao Los Gallos mentioned a lot. We are aware that there are two shows, at 9pm and 11:30pm. Is it worth it? And, if we want to go, do we just show up or should it be booked in advance? <BR> <BR>I know that there are also shows in the Costa del Sol/Marbella area, but I assume these are touristy. Would there be any shows in that area that could be recommended that aren't too touristy? <BR> <BR>Any help would be appreciated. <BR>--Eric

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Henry

Eric:We want to Los Gallos last May and loved it.Some people claim it is "touristy" but not being experts we thought it was a lot of fun.We made a reservation late in the afternoon for that evenings performance.Ticket price included 1 drink.we all thought it was well worth it.Enjoy.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:48 AM
mary lewis

We also went to Los Gallos this spring - in March. We enjoyed it - it was touristy but unlike anything we had seen, so worth it for us. We had heard also, that the only "true" and great flamenco is spontaneous - and I don't think you want to hang around local bars just waiting for spontaneous flamenco! You might not ever see any! I believe we got a 10% discount because we had Rick Steves' guidebook with us.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:21 PM
Eric

Henry & Mary, <BR>Thanks for the info. Sounds like this can be booked close to the day we would go. From what you say it sounds like it's worth it. How much did the show cost?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Joanne

Eric: You are really doing your homework! Just posted on your inquiry about the Andalusian horses and Sherry bodegas. <BR> <BR>We saw Flamenco at Tablao el Arenal in Seville. The hotel made our reservations and I don't remember what it cost. Had heard of Los Gallos before we went on our trip and that it was very good. <BR> <BR>Touristy? I don't know. Never had the privilege of visiting Spain at the time Hemingway did! We enjoyed it and it was an interesting company I thought. The singers were great, as were the guitarists. I was also impressed that all the dancers weren't "pretty young things." There was one older woman who was excellent. Whole experience was great and I think Seville is probably the best place to experience Flamenco for the first time! <BR> <BR>Joanne

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:36 PM
Eric

Joanne, <BR>Thanks for the "review", as well as your post on the Andalusian horses/bodegas. <BR> <BR>It turns out that El Arenal and Los Gallos are two of the three flamenco venues listed on this site's Sevilla mini-guide. From what it says in that listing and what you said we should enjoy either one. Hopefully these venues aren't mobbed with visitors in late August. Did your hotel make the reservation the same day as the show or earlier? <BR> <BR>And you're right, I've been doing a lot of homework on Spain before we go -- just ask my wife! <BR> <BR>Eric

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 05:19 PM
Joanne

Eric: I believe the reservation was made either the day before or same day for Flamenco. We usually travel in spring, however, so that might make a difference in terms of crowds. <BR> <BR>Incidentally, another thing we enjoyed doing in Seville was a riverboat cruise. The commentary was in both Spanish and English and was interesting in terms of previous Olympic sites, the unique bridges, etc. Took about half an hour and was fun. We boarded nearby the Torre de Oro in town. <BR> <BR>Don't know if you're a Roman ruins enthusiast (we are), but if so you might want to take a city bus to visit Italica. Not a very large site but has a great amphitheater. <BR> <BR>Seville was our favorite on our trip to Spain--hope someday to return there and visit the Costa del Sol, which time didn't allow on our trip. <BR> <BR>Glad I could help; if you need further info post again, or feel free to e-mail me direct. I do the "homework" in our family and also save most everything I get my hands on for future reference, so have lots of info I collected on our trip. <BR> <BR>Joanne

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 05:22 PM
L

Went to Southern Spain for my honeymoon last fall. I don't think you'll be able to see any flamenco in Costa del Sol/Marbella, so I would definitely try to catch it in Seville. We saw a show in Cordoba -- sure it's touristy, if you mean tourists are in attendance, but the show was great and we really enjoyed it. Not much else positive to say about Cordoba, in our opinion. We loved Seville, by the way, but it is very difficult to navigate. Enjoy!

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:15 PM
Eric

Joanne: <BR> <BR>Thanks again for all the info you have provided. I may take you up on your offer so watch your inbox. Based on what L said, I think we'll try to get our Flamenco fix in Seville. <BR> <BR>I was interested in Italica but not sure if they are open on Mondays, which is the day we'd be trying to go. You said a city bus goes there -- any idea which one? <BR> <BR>Eric