Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada - differences, favorites, how to choose

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on plans for a March trip to Spain. I'll have 8 nights (maybe 9). My first thought was to see all three of Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada but now that I've done alot of reading and looking at photos online, they are starting to look similar. I know the Alhambra will be fabulous, but so will the Mezquita in Cordoba, and the Alcazar and Cathedral in Sevilla. I most certainly will see those sites but I tend to enjoy cities/towns for themselves at least as much as the main sites.

So I'd like to hear peoples opinions of the cities themselves. If you've been to all three did you feel they were significantly different to be enjoyable (aside from the main sites)? Which were you're favorites and why? Were you disappointed in any of them?
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM

The fact these three cities have a rich and fascinating Moorish history in common is actually one of the reasons they are at the top of the most visited cities in Spain. Yes, it is to be expected they will have elements in common, but the history behind each one of the sights listed is so unique and fascinating, I can not even fathom passing on the Alcazar in Seville because I have been to the Alhambra in Granada (sounds kind of nutty, actually...:-?)

March is a good time for Andalucia; bit cold, but the days will start getting longer and the weather to improve. With eight days, I will recommend to home base in two places; Madrid and Seville with an overnight in Granada. If Madrid is out as an option, then Seville (day trip to Cordova) and Marbella (day trips to Granada, Ronda, Pueblos Blancos).
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:19 PM

I can't claim to have been to all three, but we also had 8 nights and had to make the same kind of decision. FWIW, here's how we decided:

We picked Seville in part because it is possible to fly directly into that city via London. It was also the city from which we departed for Portugal, when we finished our 'loop' through Andalucia. So we had practical reasons for visiting Seville as well as touring ones.

Granada was on the list because of the Alhambra. So, the question became whether to do Cordoba.

Had we nine nights, I might have considered squeezing in a daytrip to Cordoba from Seville - I say, might, because I would far rather have had an overnight in Cordoba than a daytrip during which I'd always be checking my watch, thinking about the time the return train left.

I think you have to consider your trip as a whole, and decide if seeing all 3 is for you.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Well I wasn't implying that it wouldn't be "worthwhile" to see one city just because I'd seen the others. My problem is limited time. And on fairly short trips like this I don't like to move around every other day. On longer trips I often rent a car and go from place to place every few days. But on this trip I won't have a car - so as much as I'd love to see Rhonda, etc it's not in the cards for this trip.

So my dilema - does it make sense to deal with the rather long bus ride to and from Granada. I'd like to hear from people who've been to all three and either say, yes definitly they are all unique and even on a short visit I'd do 2 days in each -- or people who'd say, no, I'd forgo the hassel of getting to Granada by pubic transportation, do 3-4 days in each of Cordoba and Sevilla.And I'd like to know the reasons why. Thanks
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Sue - you and I must have been posting at the same time. Thanks for your input, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Others??
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM

I've been to all three and each city is fabulous and very worthwhile. As others have pointed out, you could do a day trip to Cordoba from Sevilla, and I wouldn't want to miss Alhambra for anything. Of the three, Sevilla is probably my favorite because I am a big flamenco fan and loved Los Gallos, but my favoirte restaurant--El Caballo Rojo(of these 3) was in Cordoba near the fabulous La Mezquita. I'd go back to all three in a heartbeat!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:36 PM

I have been to all three several times having spent time at the Navy base at Rota (near Cadiz). The three cities are unique and each is very worthwhile. Of the three, Seville is certainly my favorite simply because it offers so much. If you were to pick two, my suggestion would be Seville and Cordoba. That is not to say that the Alhambra is not magnificent, but the Alcazar and gardens in Seville are magnificent too. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I prefer the Alcazar and gardens in Seville to the Alhambra. Could very well have been the days I visited and the mood I was in at the time though. The interior of the Mezquita blew me away - it was simply unlike anything I had seen before. The town of Cordoba looks neither like Seville nor Granada and is especially beautiful if you will be there when flowers are in bloom. The walls of white buildings decorated with attached pots of flowers are a delight to the eye.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM

Yes isabel, you would have time to see all three. My 18y.o. daughter just loved the Alcazar,My husband the Mezquita and for me, the Alhambra was the best of 3 wonderful places.
Suggest you base yourself in Seville, catch the fast train to Cordoba for the day..you will have enough time to see most of the sights.... we felt we had seen what we wanted in that time... , then take the the bus to Granada for 1 to 2 nights. We caught the bus from Seville which I think took about 2 1/2 hours.
We all loved the city of Seville in particular and lost ourselves numerous times in the old narrow lanewayed area of Santa Cruz. The jamon (proscuitto type ham)is THE BEST in Spain!
Granada is much more hilly and its old area.. the albayzin, has the backdrop of the Sierra Nevadas which is lovely partic at sunset.
What ever you decide, you'll have a wonderful time. Enjoy yourself!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:00 PM

I've been to all 3 and my favorite city is Seville but you should go to all of them - you have enough time.

You need to reserve your time at the Alhambra in Granada and then plan your trip around that.

I would say:
2 days in Granada;
4 days in Seville;
overnight in Cordoba
1 night elsewhere.

The white villages (on the way from Granada to Seville by car) are wonderful to see.

My impressions of the cities you listed (we went in March as well):
Granada: tapas are free with a drink so having a real meal is not necessary.
Very interesting lively town - gorgeous orange trees and wonderful views of the alhambra. Staying at the Parador was nice but not as nice as other Paradore and I was glad we stayed in town a couple of days.

Cordoba: the Mezquita is worth the trip. I wasn't impressed with the town but it was mostly under construction while there.

Seville: is fantastic with hidden sights around almost every corner and a city which is not just touristic. We return again and again to Seville.

Our trip (11 nights) was: train to Madrid, rented a car then: Jaen (1 night), Granada (3 nights), long drive to Gibralter, white villages, San Lucar de B. (2), Seville (3), Carmona (1), Cordoba (1) then drive back to Madrid.

Carmona is a small and quiet but the views from the old city makes you think that you are living in an Italian scenery painting.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:10 AM

My Dad and I did Granada-Sevilla-Madrid with a day trip to Segovia in 9 days and the only thing we did wrong was not rent a car. We got to Granada first and stayed one night, seeing the Alhambra (get tix before) and walking through the city. Then we took the train to Sevilla where we spent 3 days and 3 nights, heading to Córdoba in the morning, seeing that and enjoying the best meal of our trip at El Churrasco. One night there, then on to Madrid early the next morning where we spent the rest of our trip (walking and seeing the Prado and Reina Sofía, which both floored my Dad. . . I have been to them a lot and they still intrigue me every time), aside from a day trip to Segovia to eat at Cándido and see the amazing city (which you can do in a day and return to Madrid.

If you have to cut anything out, take a night from Córdoba, move on to Madrid, and you will not be short on time. I think that all 3 are worth seeing, and Madrid is great to get in as well.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:43 AM

I'd agree with other posters - you have time to do all three.

Cordoba is in a sense smaller than the other two - less of a draw touristically - but the Mezquita is unmissable and the city itself has a lovely atmosphere. The Juderia is similar to the Santa Cruz district of Seville but larger and with much fewer tourists - much more atmospheric. And the food in Cordoba is fabulous. Maybe two nights or even just one would be enough, depending on what time you arrive and leave.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your opinions. I guess you have convinced me that I should do all three. Since we are trying to do a somewhat relaxing trip, and therefore want as few different hotels as possible, I'm thinking of doing Cordoba as a day trip from Sevilla. I see that lots of people do it that way, and I gather of the three, Cordoba is the least interesting in terms of the town itself (monuments excluded from this thinking). Not quite sure why that is since the guidebooks make it seem at least as good as Granada. But clearly if you read trip reports and opinions here on the forum that is the case.

So how does this sound:
Day 1 arrive Madrid, first night there
Day 2 AVE train to Seville
Day 3 Seville
Dat 4 Seville
Day 5 Cordoba day trip, sleep in Seville
Day 6 bus to Granada
Day 7 Granada
Day 8 Granada
Day 9 bus to Madrid
Day 10 fly home

Thanks again for your input.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Sounds like a plan. Cordoba can be seen as a day trip from Seville. Cordoba is only about 90 miles from Seville and the roads are good. Other than the Mezquita, Cordoba's Alcazar is worth a visit as is La Juderia. For Granada, try to get your Alhambra tickets in advance to maximize your time. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Sevilla is spain in my book a must see and a must city to experience, not visit.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Your plan looks great but reserve your tickets and hotel (if you want to stay at the Paradore) now; your plans may have to change due to Alhambra availability...
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:34 AM

Good plan, but are you thinking about renting a car at all? It really makes the rest of Andalucía you see on the way accessible and wonderful.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:02 AM

I'd take the AVE to Cordoba and spend a night.
Bus to Granada for 3 nights from Cordoba (about 3 hours max).
Bus from Granada to Seville, 3 nights.
AVE to Madrid, 1 night.
This avoids what I suspect will be a quite long bus ride straight from Granada to Madrid, and also gives you an overnight in Cordoba.

Since you are flying into Madrid, doing all 3 makes sense since you'll be passing through Cordoba anyway.

As for us, after 2 nights in our air gateway of Seville we rented a car and spent a night in Ronda, 2 nights in Granada, 2 nights crossing the Costa del Sol from east (Nerja) to west (just a glimpse of Gibraltar, didn't visit) and back to Seville with a brief look at Arcos. Thus the WVillages and Cdelsol were the choices we made instead of going to the "northeast" corner of Andalucia to do Cordoba. Our reasoning was the next trip we likely wouldn't have a car and would do something more along the lines of your trip. Bon voyage! (or the Spanish equivalent...)
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Sue - I like your plan. I hadn't thought of doing it in reverse. I'll check the bus schedules and if the times look decent I think I'll do that. It means one more hotel but it does make more sense.

laclaire - no we won't have a car this trip. When I'm with my husband (and that is usually on 2-3 week trips) we usually rent a car, but he likes to drive in Europe and I like to navigate so it works out well. This trip, in addition to being shorter, I'll be with my sister-in-law and this is only her second trip to Europe and I really think she'd be more comfortable not to have to think about either driving or navigating. Plus, the main places I want to see are those three cities and having a car doesn't make sense. The only time it would come in handy is to and from Granada and it does look like the bus won't be that bad. I'd certainly love to see the white towns but I only have 9 days and I'm done with the days of trying to cram too much into a trip. As it is we'll be moving hotels 5 times in 9 days. I'll just have to go back.

moxie - I know it's necessary to reserve the Alhambra tickets in advance - but THIS far in advance? I don't usually even get my plane tickets till November for a March trip. Is it really necessary to get them more than 3 months in advance?