Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SEVILLA and CADIZ solo in February....eats, side trips?

Old Aug 21st, 2018, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've provisionally booked a week in Seville (Hotel Mercer) and 5 nights in Cadiz (Parador) for February.
I've spent time in Seville in the pretty recent past but never been to Cadiz. Wondering if I should shift to add a night to Cadiz and take away from Seville. (I cannot extend my stay in Cadiz due to hotels being booked for the Feria on the first weekend in March).

So, I know Seville ok, but always interested in recent restaurant/bar information. Last time could not tear myself away, even with a week's stay, to take train to Cordoba, so might do that this time. I've been there, but decades ago.

My main questions center on Cadiz: I'd like to visit Barbate, one of Europe's tuna capitals, to eat at the famed El Campero restaurant. Question is how to get there, but I will work on figuring that out.
Other than that, I am open to ideas on where to eat and possible day trips. Would Vejer be very interesting for a day trip? I know it's pretty, and there are a lot of expats living there, but is it worth the time and effort to go there from Cadiz, since I do not think I have the nerve to rent a car solo? (Might need one for a day to get to Barbate).

Puerto Sta Maria? Worth taking ferry one day? Or for dinner?

Sanlucar. Stayed here overnight once and loved this town!!! Still remember the meal at Casa Bigote.
But easy to reach from Cadiz?

In Cadiz itself, any tips for me? I know they eat dinner really late down south, so I might have most of my daily food at lunch...love to know favorite spots for seafood. Love those little shrimp pancakes and the ortiguillas (sea anemones!!!)

Anyone here stayed at the parador in Cadiz? If so, any particular room tips for me? My rate includes breakfast, so I am happy about that.

Any and all comments welcome!! Thank you.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 07:27 AM

This was 2009 so of course take with a grain of salt.
I had read raves about Puerto Sta Maria but made the mistake of going over on a Sunday--it was absolutely dismal and downtrodden. I hope you redeem it in my eyes!
I think there may be a bus that could get you to Barbate. We day tripped by bus to Vejer and found it as you described--pretty, full of expats. That coastline is quite pretty though, with orange sand beaches--so I would definitely return to that coast.
My only actually useful info is to seek out the cured tuna in Cadiz, which we enjoyed at the atmospheric Casa Manteca. Finally, a pescatarian's answer to jamon/prosciutto!
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 07:49 AM

Have you been to Jerez de la Frontera and its famed sherry houses and famous equestrian shows with behemoth Andalusian horses in local arena -practice sessions many days and performances too - you going by car I presume- a short drive from Cadiz or train or bus ride.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Yorkshire, thanks! The restaurant in Barbate (I read about it in a Spanish guide called something like "The 100 best gastronomic experiences in Spain,") according to chefs. They serve cuts of tuna that leave one's mind boggled--the top of the head of the tuna, the heart of the tuna, the lower jaw, the collar, the chin, the cheeks, andn of course, the belly....crazy...take a look at menu; I heard the bar is the place to eat, especially since I will be solo. I HAVE to go there!!

It's on this list, too, from a few years ago:

https://www.gastroactitud.com/pista/...omia-espanola/
carta-de-restaurante.pdf

Pal: Yes, I've been to Jerez and taken a private tour of a sherry bodega. I've not much interest in the horses.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Aug 21st, 2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 08:20 AM

You will have a car?
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 08:31 AM

I read a book that talks about the tuna harvest--perhaps the Dan Barber book?
DH is pushing to return to Spain since we are not wusses about driving anymore (four driving trips in Italy helps with that)--this is putting me on board!
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 11:26 AM

We never made it to Sanlucar, but I kept this review from the Los Angeles Times for inspiration on the area: Where to get fabulous seafood to pair with Andalusia's fabulous sherries
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Sanlucar is really nice. We went on an overnight once from Seville; stayed at Los Helechos, very nice and moderate in price.

Pal: As I wrote, I am a little leery of driving alone, with no one to navigate for me. Bad enough in NY, but in Europe, I am not sure. Although last trip, to Asturias, driving was so easy I knew I could do it alone.

I have to get that Dan Barber book out of the library. Did you know he is a mere lad in age??? I have the Italy one, a little disappointing, and the Japan one which is better, I think, at least it taught me more...
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:54 PM

Just looked it up, it is The Third Plate by Dan Barber--I think you are referring to the Matt Goulding books. Grape, Olive, Pig also covers the "tuna coast." enjoy!
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

You are right..I was confused. So I will now put the Third Plate on my library list....thank you for that!!! So it is THE Dan Barber of Stone Barns!?