Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sestri Levante vs. Santa Margherita Ligura Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sestri-levante-vs-santa-margherita-ligura-italy-883427/)

LizTD Mar 24th, 2011 09:22 AM

Sestri Levante vs. Santa Margherita Ligura Italy

I have narrowed my after-Bologna options now to the above 2 destinations (hence, a new post, which I hope isn't an awful breach of protocol). In Sestri Levante there is availability at the hotel Vis a Vis. In Santa Margherita the hotel Metropole is available. Does anyone have input as to which would be the best destination for (1) ease of arrival from Bologna on a Saturday; (2) most optimal for enjoying a short and lazy stay at the beach; (3) availability of good food; and (4) ease of travel to Rome? It appears both hotels are very nice. Thank you. LIz

PalenQ Mar 24th, 2011 09:38 AM

Stayed at the Metropole in Santa Magh years ago - but the town must still be as sweet as it was - a real fishing town with the day's catch brought in at the end of the day - and if going to Portofino, just a few miles away, there are buses and taxis and a footpath the we took to get there.

So know nothing about S Levante but Santa M d L is one of my favorite towns in Italy.

Byrd Mar 24th, 2011 10:06 AM

I haven't been to Sestri Levante, but two years ago we spent several days at the Metropole in Santa Margherita and loved it.

We took the train to the Cinque Terre for a day, and took a boat for the short ride to Portofino

Our rooms at the Metro0ole had balconies with wonderful views of the sea.

Byrd

bobthenavigator Mar 24th, 2011 10:44 AM

SML is certainly more convenient to access and more to see and do. But, Sestri has a certain charm for a relaxing time.

zeppole Mar 24th, 2011 03:41 PM

You have an 11 year old daughter, yes? Sestri Levante is a usually considered a bit more kid-and-family oriented. It's got two sandy beaches, a few small amusement-park type rides, and loads of budget friendly casual eateries. The fact that it gets so few non-Italian family visitors gives it a particular charm if you like the feeling of really being in Italy.

I have absolutely no clue why anyone would think Sestri Levanta is hard to access. In fact, is it easier to access than Santa Margherita Ligure because nearly every IC train stops there (most skip Santa Margherita Ligure) and Sestri Levante has its own exit off the autostrade if you are driving. It is also closer to Bologna if you are coming via La Spezia. (Santa Margherita Ligure is closer if you are coming via Milano.)

Santa Margherita Ligure is posh yacht harbor wannabe Portofino, and attracts a young singles crowd from Milano as well an increasing number of American tourists with cruise-ship sensibilities. That said, your 11 year old might enjoy boat rides to Portofino (and not think it "cheesy" as visitors I know recently pronounced it), and she might enjoy the cable car ride in neighboring Rapallo up the mountain to MonteAllegro. Swimming in Santa Margherita Ligure is mainly about hotel swimming pools and a tiny stretch of pebbly beach, but it is easy to take a boat to San Fruttuoso or a train to Camogli for variety.

You really won't go wrong with either choice, but egalitarian life with the Italians appeals to for a relaxing beach stay, Sestri Levante (with a day trip to Santa Margherita Ligure) might be perfect -- but if your daughter is super-active and a budding shopaholic, then Santa Margherita Ligure might be the better fit.

LizTD Mar 24th, 2011 05:02 PM

Zeppole:
You have tremendous credibility with me. My daughter, is the opposite of a shopper (she is a petite Siciliana - two generations separated - who is determined to be a basketball phenom), and simply wants a simple beach. She was tearfully sad when I said we would not be in Delaware in July because we would be in Italy -- how counterintuitive is that?? I think that Sestri Levante is just right. I am grateful. Thank you much.
Liz

packed Mar 25th, 2011 09:53 PM

We stayed at the Vis a Vis in Sestri Levante eight years ago. The hotel seemed sterile to us (my husband compared the rooms to a hospital) and the town was not nearly as appealing as Santa Margherita when we drove through it. In fact, we found Sestri Levante to be a rather industrial town, and would not stay there again. Sorry to be so negative about this town and hotel, but this is really how we felt. I think that there are better options for towns and hotels in the area.

ekscrunchy Mar 26th, 2011 02:27 AM

P: I am so glad you mentioned Vis a Vis. I have had this on my list for ages although your comments do not sound too encouraging. I believe this hotel has a swimming pool. Can you tell me the size of the pool, by any chance? Long enough to swim laps?

By industrial, do you mean that there were factory-type buildings in the town center near the beach? If not, what exactly? (I have never been)

packed Mar 26th, 2011 07:56 AM

From our diary "Sestri is a fair place, not charming, and with some industrial business. It is also a fishing village. It is convenient to highway and is on the water with a couple of wharves." I remember seeing some smoke from smokestacks, although I don't remember factories in the center of town. Can't help you with the pool. I don't know if they had one because we didn't try to use it.

PeaceOut Mar 26th, 2011 08:51 AM

I can't say I agree with this, "Santa Margherita Ligure is posh yacht harbor wannabe Portofino". We were in SML a few years ago. It is low-key, friendly and charming.

Dayle Mar 26th, 2011 10:33 AM

Liz,

I can only report on SML. We stayed at Hotel Laurin for 3 nts and loved it. Really enjoyed the town and would have liked to stay at least one more night, but couldn't change our next res on 24 hrs notice!

Upon arrival, we took a taxi from the train station, but turned out the hotel was actually within walking distance.

Buon viaggio!

LizTD Jul 24th, 2011 12:45 PM

We just returned from Italy and I wanted to report how much we enjoy SML and the Hotel Metropole as I may not do a trip report this time. SML turned out to be the perfect destination for us with enough to engage us without being touristy. The town is lovely -- so much nicer than nearby Portofino (and Zeppola, although I typically think you are spot on I do not think that the town is a Portofina-wanna-be). The hotel is a great place to stay with family -- many children there (probably not a great pick if you are not with children, however). The staff of the hotel were extremely welcoming, and the rooms clean and nicely appointed. We chose to purchase the half-board, so breakfast was included and it was grand (prosecco was included, which made lovely Mimosas). I would not recommend the full board, as the lunch and dinner were identical and there are so many good/better options in town, which is a five minute walk. The weather, even in the middle of July, was cool, permitting a light sweater in the evening. A highlight was a restaurant named Nostromo - wonderful and inventive cuisine highlighting the freshly caught seafood. I highly recommend SML and thank everyone for their input!