Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sestri Levante - Hotel Helvetia or Grand Hotel Villa Balbi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Karen

Has anyone ever stayed at or seen either of these 2 hotels. We are wondering which one in better. Karen Brown recommends Helvetia and doesn't mention the Villa Balbi. Although Balbi is a 4 star vs. Helvetia 3 star. We are really looking for which hotel has more charm, character, and nice features. Thank you

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 05:37 PM
Karen

to the top! <BR>

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 01:43 PM
D&S

This response is probably too late, but we found the owners and staff at the Helvetia to be short, rude, haughty, arrogant, and contemptuous!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 06:45 AM
nancy

Hi Karen, Hope this isn't too late! I stayed in Sestri Levante in June. I use Kare Brown all the tme! However, we found a great Hotel in Sestri. It is called"Grand HotelDei Castelli. Probably wasn't finished when the last Karen Brown guide was done! <BR> It overlooks the town . It is at the tip of the penninsula. The Hotel was created from an old castle. There is a separate bïlkding on the premises...which is the restaurant. <BR> It is soo incredible...You walk out of the hotel...walk through the garden to an elevator which takes you to the beach area...on the coast. Then you can go up stairs and take walkways that meander all around the cliffs &lt;right above the sea. There are chirs and tables.We spent a whole afternoon on the cliffs with our books.Amazing! <BR> Tel:0039-0185 487220 <BR> Fax:00390185 44767 <BR>There is private parking. We did not have a reservation,&lt;june&gt; <BR> You drive into town...thru town ....follow the signs for the castle...uphill thru a neighborhood. N.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 10:57 AM
traveler

I had a drink in the library bar at the Villa Balbi a couple of years ago. It was stunning! Very top drawer. It's very near the action in town. I saw the castle mentioned above and thought it was beautiful. I hear it was empty for years and am glad that it's now in use. Beautiful area.