Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seriously need so guidance on my itinerary... Pleaseeee, do help !

Dec 22nd, 2017, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone who is reading this...

First of all, Merry Christmas to you all !!!
We will be heading to Europe end of April.

4/24 Arrived in Heathrow, London early in the morning and we will be catching a flight to Berlin.
We will be arriving Berlin before lunch time.

4/27 Heading to Prague by train. Will spend 3 nights in Prague.

4/30 Taking the night train from Prague to Budapest. Arrive in Budapest the next morning.

5/1 Staying in Budapest for 3 nights.

5/4 - 5/13 That's where the itinerary that I need you to help me with.
The other two countries we will be covering are Austria and Switzerland.
In Austria, we want to cover Vienna, Hallstatt and Salzbury.
In Switzerland, we have to stay a night a Zurich because we want to cover Rhine Fall &
Lake Titisee for a day trip tour. Then we will head to Lucerne for a 3-4 nights stay.

We would like to know how should we cover everything in 9-10 days because we have to take a flight back to London on 5/13. Please, we need your suggestion. Should I do Plan A or Plan B? or can you guys or gals come out with a better plan.

Plan A :

5/4 Fly to Vienna to Budapest. Stay in Vienna for 2 nights.
5/6 Vienna head to Salzbury but day trip to Hallstatt. (What mode of transport should we take?)
Stay 2 nights in Salzbury.
5/8 Salzbury head to Zurich (Again, what mode of transport?)
5/9 Day trip to Rhine Fall and Lake Titisee
5/10 Zurich to Lucerne. Stay 4 nights.
5/13 Lucerne to Zurich. Zurich to London.

Plan B :

5/4 Fly to Zurich. Stay a night in Zurich.
5/5 Day tour to Rhine Fall & lake Titisee. Back to Zurich and take a train to Lucerne in the late
evening. Stay for 4 nights.
5/9 Back to Zurich. Find our way to Salzbury. Stay 2 night in Salzbury.
5/11 Salzbury to Hallstaat to Vienna. Stay for 2 nights.
5/13 Vienna to London.

Is the plan too much? Can it possible to fit into this 9-10 days tour? We are certainly lost. Please help if you could. We appreciate your input. We will be traveling with a party of four.

Thank you very much.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May you be blessed and loved in the year of 2018.

Regards,
Steven
Dec 22nd, 2017, 03:03 AM

It seems like a lot to me, but I guess it depends on what you want to see in each place. I would want 4 nights minimum in the major cities. Have you been to Berlin before? Does jet lag effect you? Because I’d start by adding time there.

I’m suspecting that you’re flying into London and catching a cheap unconnected flight because it’s the cheapest option. But if that’s the case, I’m wondering about how much time you’re leaving between flights, because if there’s some kind of delay, that could be costly.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 04:44 AM

Book trains in advance for discounted prices like Berlin to Prague (www.bahn.de/en) - check www.seat61.com for great advice on booking discounted tickets - general train info www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

In Switzerland a Swiss Travel Pass could be great for yourplans - www.sbb.ch.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

@marvelousmouse, you are right. We reached London before 6am. Our connecting flight is at 9am. We reached Berlin just right before noon. We only need two and half days there because we will be attending Sam Smith concert. No worries, I bought my insurance if it's delay. My air tix can be exchange.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

@PalenQ, thanks for the tip. Any suggestion on the Austria and Switzerland itinerary, please?
Dec 22nd, 2017, 07:11 AM

The long answer:

"5/4 Fly to Vienna to Budapest. Stay in Vienna for 2 nights." Why are you flying? Trains from Budapest to Vienna take ~3hours.

"5/11 Salzbury to Hallstaat to Vienna. Stay for 2 nights.
5/13 Vienna to London."

What is drawing you to Vienna? When all is said and done you will have 1.5 days in Vienna at best with either itinerary.

The short answer: yes, I think your plan is too much.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 08:17 AM

As Berlin is set anyway, I wouldn't change anything until May 4th.
Budpest - Vienna is a short train ride (2 1/2 hrs journey, trains about every hr).

My proposal:
May 4th: Budapest dp by train 7.40 - Vienna ar 10.20
May 6th: Vienna dp by train 8.30 - Salzburg ar 10.52
May 7th: Salzburg dp by train 11.22 - Hallstatt ar 13.24
May 8th: Hallstatt dp by train 18.32 - Attnang-Puchheim ar 19.47, Have dinner at Attnang, dp by overnight train (sleeping car) 23.34
May 9th: Zurich ar 8.20, dp 8.35 - Lucerne ar 9.25
May 11th: Lucerne dp by train 17.35 - Neuhausen am Rheinfall ar 19.30. Visit Rheinfall.
May 12th: Citybus to Schaffhausen. Schaffhausen dp by train 11.16 - Titisee ar 12.47
May 13th:
Titisee dp 7.15 - Freiburg 7.58/8.30 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 9.25
Titisee dp 8.45 - Freiburg 9.28/10.00 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 10.55
Titisee dp 9.45 - Freiburg 10.28/11.00 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 11.55
Titisee dp 10.45 - Freiburg 11.28/12.00 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 12.55
Titisee dp 12.15 - Freiburg 12.58/13.15 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 14.10
Titisee dp 13.15 - Freiburg 13.58/14.30 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 15.25
Titisee dp 14.15 - Freiburg 14.58/15.30 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 16.25
Titisee dp 15.45 - Freiburg 16.28/16.45 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 17.40
Titisee dp 16.45 - Freiburg 17.28/18.00 - Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport ar 18.55

Departures from Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport to London:
7.15 LHR, 10.15 STN, 10.55 LGW, 11.50 LHR, 13.50 LTN, 17.25 LGW, 18.40 LHR, 21.40 LHR, 21.55 LGW,
Dec 22nd, 2017, 08:31 AM

You will not need more than 1 day at Hallstatt, sorry! Add more time to Vienna or may be Salkzburg.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 08:38 AM

May 12th: it should be Titisee ar 13.47, sorry!
Dec 22nd, 2017, 08:54 AM

>> Our connecting flight is at 9am.<<

That is pretty tight. Even if your incoming flight is not delayed - and if it isn't delayed, are you sure your insurance will cover for you simply booking too tight a connection?

If they are unconnected flights you will have to collect your bags.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 09:19 AM

You are not seeing anything of Alpine Switzerland but in Lucerne you could take the train from Lucerne in an hour to Engelberg and take the neat revolving gondolas up Mt Titlis:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mt+t...w=1920&bih=949
Dec 22nd, 2017, 09:54 AM

<>

Why not? Insurance companies can't legally refuse to pay for transportation delays, if your policy covers that. This is a perfectly legitimate ticket, with a 3 hr connection time, for heaven's sake. It's not like the outgoing flight booked before the arrival time, maybe they would deny that. Many many airlines book connecting flights with much less transit time than that through LHR. AA books flights with only 1:30 transit time in LHR, and BA books flights less than 2 hrs transit time through LHR, also. So even if it is two separate airlines, I don't see raising quesitons about insurance.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:00 AM

Best to clarify that with insurance company I'd say!
Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:19 AM

>>Many many airlines book connecting flights with much less transit time than that through LHR<<

Christina dear . . . Absolutely, one can get short connections on connected bookings. That is NOT what the OP has.

We don't even know which airline(s) are involved and if she has to change terminals, etc . . .
Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:59 AM

"You are not seeing anything of Alpine Switzerland"

I suppose hits20 is not interested in alpine scenery. Otherwise he/she wouldn't plan to to travel more than 500 miles along the Alps without entering one single alpine valley.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 05:57 PM
kja

Are you sure that you can see and experience what you want with either of your plans in this time frame? Each plan sounds unpleasantly ambitious to me – too much time in transit for far too little time to actually see or do anything while in any of these fascinating places. If you haven’t already done so, I strongly recommend that you plot your trip – and the places you hope to visit – on a calendar.

And I think you mean Salzburg, not Salzbury?

Good luck!
Dec 22nd, 2017, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for all you feedback, suggestion and opinion. So happy to see all your messages in the morning especially @neckervd. Thanks for drawing out the itinerary for us. We love it.

Ok, let me clarify a few things here. So far, we only booked our return tickets from Malaysia to London using Singapore Airline. We are yet to proceed to buy the rest (train tickets and other flight tickets).

SQ is always very prompt with their timing. So, we would assume that the flight to London will arrive on time at 05:55 in Heathrow Airport Terminal 2.

There are two airlines that could connect us to Berlin; Eurowings and British Airways. We do not want to spend too much time at the airport. So, we were comtemplating on which airline to take. We saw Eurowings was the cheapest and we like the timing. Eurowings will depart at 8:50am and arrive in Berlin-Tegel at 11.40am. (Eurowings counter is also at Terminal 2). We did concern whether we should take a later flight but the next available flight is at 2:35pm. Even though, British Airway has a earlier flight 10:40 am but the price is twice expensive than Eurowings. Guys, what do you think? Do u think we have enough time to get out of SQ flight and run to the Eurowings counter to check in for the 8.50am flight??? I really need some opinion on this.

Ok, this trip was supposed to cover Berlin, Prague, Budapest and Vienna. Switzerland wasn't in the itinerary. However, my brother, Jimmy wanted to me to include Switzerland as well because he was upset that two years ago when we did backpack to Europe for 25 days, I did not cover Switzerland as well. We went to Rome, Florence, Venice, Amsterdam, Paris and London then. That is why he wants me to include Switzerland this time since Switzerland is just nearby.

About Switzerland, since it was added into the itinerary, I thou we will cover Lucerne, visit Mt. Rigi, taking boat via Alpnachstad to Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis and Interlaken for the time being. That is why I try to put 4 days at Lucerne. If time doesn't allow us, then we will cut Rhine Fall and Lake Titisee. I am sure we will be back for another complete trip to Switzerland in the future. Moreover, I will be back to Europe next September to Spain and Portugal.

Thanks @PalenQ, I checked with the insurance company. Unfortunately, it won't be covered. So, I really have to think which connecting flight I should take now.

Please, if anyone has anything to add, please feel free to do so. Thank you so much for your input.

Regards,
Steven
Dec 22nd, 2017, 07:05 PM

>>SQ is always very prompt with their timing. So, we would assume that the flight to London will arrive on time at 05:55 in Heathrow Airport Terminal 2.<<

Even IF Singapore's flight is on time -- there is absolutely no guarantee you will get to the gate anywhere near 05:55. MANY long haul flights arrive at LHR in the early morning hours and it is not at all unusual for planes to be stacked circling until runway/taxiway/gates are available.
Dec 22nd, 2017, 07:18 PM
kja

The reasons for your choices are interesting, but not really relevant -- the question isn't WHY you want to do anything, but whether you can actually mange it. At least, that's my take!
Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:26 AM

I wouldn’t risk the connection. No one wants to deal with insurance, it won’t help you the day of, and there are so many things that can go wrong. Even usually prompt airlines can have delays, and 3 of the delays I’ve experienced in the last year were not the airline’s fault.

Christina may be right about the insurance company reimbursing you but reimbursement isn’t the problem. With 3 nights in Berlin, it would hurt to lose one.

Have you plotted out the travel expenses? It sounds like that’s going to be a significant expense of the trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO