Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Serbia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/serbia-924210/)

Richarda Feb 16th, 2012 09:54 AM

Serbia

Planning a two week trip in May by car to Serbia and perhaps one or two more nearby countries. Have already been to Croatia and Slovenia so would be thinking perhaps of going in the opposite direction. Have studied the Internet sites without conclusion. Serbia seems to be contradictory in several respects so ..........it's time to contact our friends at Fedor's to find out what the real scoop is in terms of Serbian travel. Things to see, do - things to avoid, etc. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. We are experienced European travelers but are really out of our element in this part of Eastern Europe. Many THANKS in advance.

thursdaysd Feb 16th, 2012 10:56 AM

Click on my name for my Serbia TR - "B" Trip, Part Two. Loved Subotica, thought Novi Sad was OK, Belgrade great for party types. Didn't get out into the countryside as I wasn't driving.

Further south I loved Macedonia.

yorkshire Jan 17th, 2013 11:44 AM

Richarda,I know this was almost a year ago, but I see you are still active here. Did you make the trip to Serbia? (I am mulling a trip opportunity...)

Richarda Jan 17th, 2013 12:33 PM

Guess my wife and I are somewhat "different travelers." I apply the old, I suppose cliche', when in doubt don't. We just could not make up our minds about Serbia so decided to "play it safe" and visit instead in 2012 the hilltowns of Tuscany and Umbria in Central Italy. Turned out to be a great trip. Does Yorkshire mean England? Have been there probably 4 times and really enjoyed it. A gazillion things to see and do. However, altho I am a good driver here in Chicago no way could I possibly drive on the left side of the road. If I could I would absolutely consider a return to England and a tour of that great country by car. We took the train previously, a LOT of time spent getting places. Lastly, with respect to Serbia, it is still on the back burner so to speak. Every Serbian-American I have spoken to has encouraged me to give it a try but.......sorry for the vague response.
Richarda

yorkshire Jan 17th, 2013 12:41 PM

No worries--that does help. I mean, you can never go wrong with Italy, and I often say I could return to Italy every year for the rest of my life and not feel shortchanged (though I would literally be short of change, so to speak). I'll actually be following your Le March trip plans with interest, for example.
However, I may have an opportunity to visit Rome in fall, and this year DH and I are considering "something different" for our spring trip, and I spotted a great fare to Belgrade. We are nature lovers, but especially the sea, and that makes it difficult to commit to a mountain valley and river trip, but I am still pondering.
ps, not England, just a random screen name.

thursdaysd Jan 17th, 2013 12:53 PM

From Belgrade you could head west, hopefully via Sarajevo, and reach the coast in Montenegro. Click on my name for my Balkans TRs.

yorkshire Jan 17th, 2013 12:58 PM

Thanks Thursdays, I already read it! We have been to Montenegro, though just Kotor-Budva, and we've been to Croatia a few times. I am also considering open-jaw Belgrade and Sarajevo, because I am not sure if Belgrade is our speed. Just a tad aged out of the nightlife scene. Will have to run the idea by DH and see if the idea of wandering southern Serbia appeals to him.

yorkshire Jan 17th, 2013 01:06 PM

Also, we only have 10 days, so a wide-ranging tour is not in the works. We do this every May, and are pretty adept at making use of our time wisely.