Best area in Paris

Search

Best area in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best area in Paris

Okay, so keeping in mind a $300CA/night budget, what is tyhe best area (arrondisement) to be in Paris.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

I want to add that we are travelling with 3 children. It would be nice to be in an area close to attractions and shopping.

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:55 AM

That is about 200 euro which isn't too bad -- until I got to the part abotu three children. So does that mean you are a family of five? How big are the children, that can make a difference, as an infant or small toddler won't need the same type of beds as a teen, who is basically an adult as for as accommodations go.

Also, age of children probably affects your desire for a single or connecting rooms versus just two rooms, I would imagine. Teens could be in their own room, if necessary.

Any central neighborhood (districts are called arrondisements in Paris, equiv. to London or Prague districts, etc.) will be fine as far as being close to attractions and shopping, but that rate won't get you the expensive areas, of course.

I'd suggest the 7th as a place to look that would be good for you, as well as the 5th. Many people on here love the 6th, St Germain, but I think that may not be very do-able at that budget.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Hello fellow canadian,

I'd stay central. With that in mind, the 1st,4th,5th and 6th would be good.

I've stayed in the Marais and Ile St Louis(4th), as well as several places in the 5th and 6th. The 1st I've alawys thought of as being a bit too quiet at night, with less restaurants and such...but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. It's attraction would be being in the vicinity of Louvre, Champs Elysee, Tuileries,etc..The 4th is a busier place, good for shopping, access to Places des Vosges( must see), some nice old mansions, restaurants,etc..Seine not too far.

The Left Bank in the 5/6 has less of the "sites", but there are some worthwhile musuems like 'Cluny' Orsay (nearby in 7th), Luxembourg Gardens (and puppet show), Jardin des Plants, Mouffetard street market, Buci street market, good shopping, nice walking area. Also, access to Seine, near Notre Dame, Ile St Louis, Seine River Cruises, straight line by RER to CDG.

A lot of people would recommend the 7th. Quieter, access to Eiffel Tower (and Champs de Mars park), Rodin Museum, Military Museum (and park in front), rue Cler,etc.. For my taste, I would go a bit more central.

To keep in mind, the Metro,RER and Bus system is very good. You won't ever be really far from central Paris in any pof the above locations. Part of your decision is whether you want to be able to....pick up a coffee and pain au chocolat after coming out of your hotel, then walk over to park bench at back of Notre Dame and enjoy the food and view (staying on Ile St Louis would allow this)...leaving hotel and walking to a reastaurant for dinner, then walking over to Seine to catch a night time cruise on the Seine to see Eiffel twinkling, staying in the 6th would allow for this.

Or leaving appartment and walking over to Luxembourg gardens to play...(6th)

It's partly a question of how much time you want to spend on public transit, versus walking.

Have a look at maps of Paris, and maps of Metro. This may help you see what the major lines are, how many transfers you would need to get back and forth to the sites you want to see.

Are you looking at a hotel or appartment? A quad?

Mike

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Various locations of the Citadines apartment hotels are often recommended and are probably in that budget range, but I think they only accept four people. If the youngest is young enough, though, maybe it would be different. I suggest investigating.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM

With 3 kids, try to situate yourself close to a big park and the river. If you buy discount tickets to the Batobus, you can cruise up and down the Seine to get to the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Musee D'Osay, and the zoo/botanical gardens (which also houses the Science Museum).

You don't say how long you are staying, but if at all possible, rent an apartment.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Mike;
Thanks so much, a great help. We definately prefer to walk around. September should be great for this. I love your idea of picking up a coffee and pain du chocolat...that's what I always imagined to Paris to be about. We are very much into food (husband is a Chef). From your descrtiption the 6th is the location for us. I'm looking for anything that will accomodate 2 adults and 3 children (3,7 &9 years old)

Thanks again!!!!!!
s.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Silvia,

Search for.....

Paris hotel four
Paris quad

There are several answers to this question here.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Ditto for appartments. There are quite a few agencies that rent places, and private parties. A search here will give you LOTS of information. It is a common question. And..it will fit into your budget.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank I'll do a search.
S
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Some that I've picked up over time from discussions here.....

www.venere.com
www.chezvous.com
www.lacigaleparis.com
www.vrbo.com
www.bienvenueaparis.com
www.parisattitude.com
wwwvacationinparis.com
www.paris-sleeps.com
www.frenchconnections.co.uk
www.holiday-rentals.co.uk
www.rentalsfrance.com
www.rentparis.com
www.parisianflat.com
www.parisperfect.com
parisvacationapartments.com
www.frenchyrentals.com
http://www.phileas-fogg.com/
www.perfectlyparis.com
www.vrbo.com/75429

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

I've narrowed it down to the 4th or 6th area. Which one is the best for restaurants. Can you get a night time tour on the Sienne form the 4th?

Thanks again
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:55 AM

I'd go for the 6th for restaurants and also for the proximity of Luxembourg gardens and the Tuileries
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM

I guess technically the Vedettes du Pont Neuf is in the 4th (tip of Ile de la Cite), but access from the 6th is about 200' out on a bridge.

There is also the Batobus, but that is more of a point to point (thus the 'bus') part. Other tours are from the 8th (Place D'Alma)