Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   September Trip - Germany, Austria, Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/september-trip-germany-austria-italy-854904/)

norrisken Aug 16th, 2010 10:29 AM

September Trip - Germany, Austria, Italy

Ok, as our departure date of Sept 2 gets closer, I'm starting to go against my initial thought to free lance for our first week. So I've booked accommodations near Siena for the night of the 7th leaving the morning of the 11th. We arrive in Munich the morning of the 3rd, staying that night at the Marriott Hotel Freising. We leave the next day to go to Kals am Grossglockner via Walchsee as a short stop to visit a friend. So my current quandary is do we stay in Kals 2 nights (4th and 5th) and a single night in Ortisei (6th)or a night in Kals and 2 in Ortisei? This is on our way to Siena.

pja1 Aug 16th, 2010 06:20 PM

Hi,

I'd stay 2 nights in Ortisei. That leaves you 1 full day. Not too much for such a beautiful area.

I'd suggest taking the Mont Seuc cable car while in Ortisei (if the weather is decent, of course).

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com

Paul

norrisken Aug 18th, 2010 06:18 AM

Thanks Paul!

logos999 Aug 18th, 2010 08:00 AM

Urtijëi (89% ladin) - St Ulrich (12% german) - Ortisei (5% italian) is of course nice to visit too, but touristy. It's the hometown of Luis Trenker. If I were you, I'd see one of his movies today, maybe there's even something on Youtube?
"Der Berg ruft" and "Berge in Flammen" are his masterpieces. "Der verlorene Sohn" - The story of an emmigrant to New York during the depression, that in spite of the poverty an misery he finds there, has also found the thing he was longing for - freedom from suppression.
All very dramatic movies, so brilliant even the Nazis didn't realize at first how subversive they were to their ideology.

norrisken Aug 18th, 2010 09:53 AM

Stop at the TI and book a room, or do you have a recommendation?

logos999 Aug 18th, 2010 10:30 AM

TI sounds o.k. to me.
http://www.groeden.org/zimmer_mit_fr...st_ulrich.html

logos999 Aug 18th, 2010 10:33 AM

Hope there'll be fewer tourists when you're visiting. Right now, it's a nightmare on the roads.

macanimals Aug 18th, 2010 11:07 AM

I'm not familiar with your Kals destination but I would never go all the way to Ortisei for just one night knowing I would expect to be in Siena the next night--kind of like going to the beach for 10 minutes. Why Ortisei if not for the opportunity to sightsee and get into the mountains--it is way off the beaten path to get to. Spend two nights there and you will want to return to further give it justice.

pja1 Aug 18th, 2010 12:57 PM

Hi,

We can recommend the Garni Ariston in St. Christina (Val Gardena). it's just 5 minutes from Ortisei. Actually, it's in the "center" of the Val Gardnea. Ortisei is 5 minutes west and Selva and then the Gardena pass are about 5 or so minutes to the east.

www.garniariston.com

Paul

logos999 Aug 18th, 2010 01:15 PM

(89% ladin) 79% ladin of course :D LOL

logos999 Aug 18th, 2010 01:37 PM

Ladin was almost completely replaced by German (St. Ulrich) in the area, but still is stong in places like Urtijëi. It's the last remains of the roman empire called "vulgar" or "peoples" Latin. It's a treasure of european culture with only few native speakers left. Still it won't tell you how the romans used to pronounce "c" :-). Each village has a slightly different dialect of their "Latin".

Turn on the radio, when you're in the area to listen to "Latin" radio broadcasts or even better, listen to the locals.

norrisken Aug 19th, 2010 08:40 AM

Thanks all for the advice and information.
logos999 - I hope that it's not too busy also. And I hope most will be fellow travels and not so many tourists. Thanks for telling me what the % meant! I've just spent my lunch break looking over the zimmer choices. When I get home I'll have my DW look at them also.
macanimals - The primary reason for the stops in Kals and Ortisei is to break up a long drive to Siena. The secondary reason is to see these places and then if we really like the area, return for a much longer stay. On all our trips we try to pick an region we haven't been and do a short stay to see if we like it. We were originally going to do a single night in each place, but after much reading in the forums we decided to leave Munich a day earlier and add a second night.
Paul - Very nice recommendation, but they want a 3 night stay.

macanimals Aug 19th, 2010 12:12 PM

I'm a major fan of the Dolomites and after several visits that have always included hikes and sightseeing, I still want to return. Your stay of two nights will probably result in the same wish--but make sure you give yourself the opportunity to get up in those mountains. I like to hike in the Berner Oberland as well--the Dolomites can be even better. And the food--and the culture--and the people, its all wonderful.

Check your driving times closely, you can't force things much on those mountain roads. I've gotten behind milk trucks and large transports which can slow things down. Marvelous engineering in those roads leading up from the Brenner Pass and the canyons.

For two nights, consider Castelrotto (Kastelruth)--Albergo Torre (Zum Turm ) or Al Lupo (Gasthof zum Wolf). Both very Tyrolian, well appointed with excellent food. Haven't stayed in Ortisei but visited several times.

norrisken Aug 20th, 2010 08:39 AM

I'll tell a story on myself. A stupid traveler story about our first time to the Dolomites.
We thought we'd do a day trip from Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm where we were staying with my aunt and drive south into the Alps with no set plan. Maybe return by evening. We left about 7am with a good solid Bayerisch Frühstück in us and aimed the car south along the B13, picking up the A9 through Munich, past the Olympiapark and on to Garmisch-Partenkirchen via A95. It was a beautiful day. Garmisch-Partenkirchen led to Innsbruck and the “Golden Roof”. Then one of us had the bright idea of seeing the Brenner Pass. So south we continued, on the A13. At this point I get a little fuzzy on events, decisions, times and locations. After we drove into Italy we thought it would be great to be able to say we had pizza and wine there. So south we drove. At some point we looked to our left and saw a wonderful view of a huge mountain range, white and stunning! The fateful decision was made to turn left at our earliest opportunity and see this mountain up close. How far can it be? After driving a long time uphill we stopped and bought some must have souvenirs, drove a long time uphill, ate and drank, drove a long time uphill, stopped and took a bathroom break, drove a long time uphill, stopped and scared my mother half to death by pretending to fall off a cliff. Then we drove uphill. Finally we reached what we considered the end of the trip uphill. We stopped, got out took some pictures, picked up some loose rocks as souvenirs. We had no idea where we were, but for a change the road went downhill. After a period of driving downhill we stopped at a local place and had some wine and food. And then we drove downhill. Forever. Until it got dark and we were still driving downhill, not knowing for sure where we were, but knowing sooner or later we would reach the A22. At some point my wife was asleep in the backseat and my mom was in the passenger seat and I commented we have been driving downhill so long that we must be underground by now. So I stopped the car and opened my door and sure enough we were underground. Or that’s what I thought when I looked out to the left with the light from my headlights and saw nothing but rock next to me and overhead. As luck (and laughter) would have it I stopped just as we were going through a short half tunnel next to a river. So we continued on to the A22 where we turned north and headed to Austria and Germany. Long story short by the time we found a place willing to take us at that late hour, it was a hotel at the old Munich Airport and it was 4am. Major lessons learned!