Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sept or Oct weather in amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sept-or-oct-weather-in-amsterdam-728780/)

Joanel Aug 14th, 2007 06:59 AM

Sept or Oct weather in amsterdam

We may be visiting amsterdam in either the 2nd half of sept or first half of October. Any comments as to which is better re- weather (which I know is unpredictable) crowds, etc.

thanks

NeoPatrick Aug 14th, 2007 07:02 AM

Since we just spend July 10 to July 17 in Amsterdam, never taking off our sweaters and wearing our heavy Alaskan hooded windbreakers and using our umbrellas a lot, I am not about to predict the weather there in Sept. or Oct. I will suggest, however, that it is more like likely to be warmer in Sept. than in Oct.

AisleSeat Aug 14th, 2007 07:04 AM

I live in Seattle and I watch the weather in places I like to visit in Europe, like Amsterdam. It track pretty much the same as Seattle (same latitude). September and October in Seattle are two of our best months weatherwise. It should be delightful either month. I would guess day time highs somewhere between 65-85 and less chance of rain. Have a nice trip.

PalenQ Aug 14th, 2007 07:22 AM

<I would guess day time highs somewhere between 65-85 and less chance of rain.>

pack according to this sadly unlikely weather prediction and you'll be scurrying to buy woolens and rain gear.

I have spent several Septembers and Octobers in Amsterdam - if it reaches 70 you'll be lucky and expect lots of drizzle - but like you say it can be variable - but chances of being in the 80s ever those two months - about the same as 2 sunny days in a row in Seattle in January

gees i don't think it's been 85 in Amsterdam yet this year.

Aisle Seat - you are comparing Washington apples to Dutch oranges

Sept avg high Amsterdam 64 - low 48
Oct high 57 low 43

these are month averages - therefore near end of month - late Sept it would be above average to reach 60.

hetismij Aug 14th, 2007 07:44 AM

After the year we're having it could be anything! Generally you would expect September to be better than October, but the last two Octobers have thrown up really hot (yes HOT) days.
I doubt we shall be so lucky this year though. October will be a tad quiter as far as crowds go, but also is usually cooler, wetter and windier, a bit like today really :(

AisleSeat Aug 14th, 2007 10:50 AM

like I said, "day time highs somewhere between 65-85 and less chance of rain".

PalenQ Aug 14th, 2007 11:12 AM

like I said, "day time highs somewhere between 65-85 and less chance of rain".

like i said - baloney - what do you base that on - Seattle? Read the stats.

85! i bet the record high many days in early Oct are not that high.

amsterdam, though they have coffee backgrounds both, are not similar in fall weather it seems.

I've been in Amsterdam a lot in September and the highs rarely get into the 70s - often in the high 50s and often loads of rain

Byrd Aug 14th, 2007 11:53 AM

hetismij,

I wish we had had one of those "hot" days last October.

We had chilly rain, but enjoyed ourselves nonetheless.

Byrd

AisleSeat Aug 14th, 2007 09:26 PM

I know this is not yet Sept/Oct but the forecast for now through Sunday calls for a lowest temp of 555 and a highest of 75.

By all means pack a topcoat and mittens.

AisleSeat Aug 14th, 2007 09:27 PM

sorry, lowest of 55

TRSW Aug 14th, 2007 09:57 PM

I was in Amsterdam for 3 days in mid October (13th-16th) last year, and the weather was just fine. No rain, some sun, some clouds, temps in the mid 60's-low 70's.

You can see what I mean about sun vs cloudy at www.pbase.com/trsw/amsterdam2006
Whatever the weather, enjoy your time in this wonderful city!!

Tom