Seotember Trip to Greece- 2015

Old Jan 25th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seotember Trip to Greece- 2015

So I received my passport a few weeks ago, and it remains empty. I have decided for my first international trip to travel to Greece! Ideally I'd like to go sometime in September but can be flexible on dates. I was planning spending on a total of 11 days, including travel time, to see all of what I can! So far, I would have a layover somewhere in Europe eventually landing in Athens. I was thinking of allotting two days to spend seeing the historical sites then would like to head towards the islands for an "off of the beaten path" experience .That's about as far as I've come so far, so I'm relying on those of you experienced Greek travelers to recommend the best of the best!
Thanks!!
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 04:45 PM

The Greek Isles are hardly "off the beaten track" - in warm weather most are packed to the gills with both american and european tourists.

And if you want to do a couple of them in your limited time you need to check flight and/or ferry schedules now - trekking from one to another can be time-consuming.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 03:42 AM

September is wonderful.. my fave month with the seas at their best after being sun-kissed all Summer long;-)
Coming the distance, you may want to consider just grabbing a quick puddle-jumper flight straight out to an isle upon arrival in Athens?! Save Athens for your finale when you'll be ready to take it on with all the walking/climbing involved.. an isle makes for a great place to de-lag and get into zone! You'll be at the airport anyway.. isle flights average around half an hour.. check www.aegeanair.com/ and sign up for their email alerts now!
Having said that, most isles with airports tend to be the busier ones.. but you can certainly find quieter isles.. especially in Sept! Read up/research the various isle groups to include the Cyclades, Dodecanesse, Ionian, Sporades.. see which you feel would best fit the bill for you
With 11 days including travel time.. am guessing here you're looking at about 9 nights.. which will basically boil down to 8 *full* days! Of course, it's your travel style that rules.. your prefs/interest take precident.. up to you what you're looking to see/do, experience! Bottom line, keeping the itinerary running consecutively is a huge time saver.. no backtracking involved if you head straight out to an isle and work your way back to Athens whether by flight or ferry! For ferry schedules, keep an eye out at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ as time approaches.. and EnJO!Y
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

as for 'off the beaten path" I was referencing more of places not overcrowded by tourists, not much criteria. Ill definitely look into starting off with the islands and starting to plan my route, ending in Athens! I see my travel style as wanting to see the most possible, while still enjoying everything, which making an itinerary will definitely help with! Ill post on my progress when I can!
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 07:40 AM

There are tons of "off of the beaten path" Greek Islands
http://www.greeka.com/greek-islands-guides.htm
but I'm sure you will not visit them as you want "to see all of what you can!"
The most interesting historical sites are not "off the beaten path". You can't do both at the same time.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Gotcha, I guess I am just looking for recommendations for islands on where to start and things to see on each as I have just began research on my trip. The island guide link will be very helpful thanks
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Leximann, I'm going to suggest something startling -- look at some guide books! If the thought of a library frightens you, stop at a Barnes & Noble and riffle through some. The quickie & graphic overviw is EYEWITNESS: the Greek Isles. Its fly-leaf shows all the major ferry routes ... and you will see that some islands are easy to link together, others are impossible. A Great book (this year discontinued alas) you can find in a library... GREEK ISLAND HOPPING. It shows very clearly what ilsnads work together, and how many you can reasonably reach and see in 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.

Your first remark shows the usual newbie mistake -- seeing Athens first. It's more time-efficient to go to your farthest Island FIRST, then hop BACK, with last 2-3 days in Athens. That way, if ther is a "glitch," or you want to extend time on one island, you don't come up short.

Your best bet as a newcomer might be the Cycladic islands... and if you want less-crowded ones I would suggest he sequence of 2 day MILOS (not crowded in Sept) -- then SANTORINI (always busy, but less in Sept)for 2 nites 1.5 days, then either PAROS or NAXOS (next on ferry line for 3 days, both have lots to offer, good nightlife, and less $$ than Santorini. THen last 2-3 days Athens. That's all u can manage in 11 days.