Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sentimental Journey (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sentimental-journey-493311/)

Patrick Jan 6th, 2005 06:46 PM

Sentimental Journey

I don't want to turn this into a political forum PLEASE, but if you're interested in taking a rather sentimental journey to Iraq, go to this website. Make sure your sound is turned on:

http://www.clermontyellow.accountsup.../UntilThen.swf

rockhopper7 Jan 6th, 2005 07:25 PM

Very moving and touching photo's, Patrick. Thank you for sharing the url.

Castleton Jan 6th, 2005 07:32 PM

Thanks, Patrick.

mv_rd Jan 6th, 2005 07:54 PM

My husband is in the military. This brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.
mv

janis Jan 6th, 2005 08:03 PM

Thanks a million Patrick!

It was taking forever to download since I dial-up, so I was just going to skip it.

I am so VERY glad I didn't skip it. The images and music are still echoing in my thoughts.

Thank you . . . . . .

LoveItaly Jan 6th, 2005 08:12 PM

Dearest Patrick, thanking you so much for posting this website.

I too have tears in my eyes.

We had one relative killed in Iraq this summer and another one seriously injured.

I would just like to make this comment. From reading your posts,I have thought you are a very special person. Well I am more convinced of this than before.

Thank you Patrick. ((*)) Prayers and love to our troops wherever they are!

FAMOUSUNCLEART Jan 6th, 2005 08:52 PM

As a WWII veteran I was moved by the excellent photographs. They reminded me of the WWII in that all soldiers, especially infantry men go through the same routine,shaving out of helmets, marching with tons of material on your back (Since my duty, I have never used a back pack)and the sheer boredum of it followed by short bursts of action, deadly action. Well done and it is not politcal.

USNR Jan 7th, 2005 04:29 AM

Isn't it amazing how a still photo captures the emotions just as well if not better than a motion picture?

Lest we forget: more than 1,500 dead young men and women, more than 10,000 wounded. And counting. While Washington prances, struts, preens, and ignores their sacrifices.

swandav2000 Jan 7th, 2005 04:37 AM

Patrick,

I add my thanks and huge gratitude for your posting this link. As an old soldier, I did go on a real sentimental journey here! These reminded me of the best days of challenge and comraderie I experienced over 20 years.

AND, yes, let us not forget the folks who are paying daily and tangibly for the decisions we make here.

s

starspinners Jan 7th, 2005 05:18 AM

It is a very moving presentation.
I thought you might be interested in the lyrics to the background music.

Until Then

"In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed, When the sparrows stop their singing and the sky is clear and red. When the summer's ceased its gleaming, When the corn is past its prime, When adventure's lost its meaning, I'll be homeward bound in time.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow. Set me free to find my calling and I'll return to you somehow.

If you find it's me you're missing, if you're hoping I'll return. To your thoughts I'll soon be list'ning, and in the road I'll stop and turn. Then the wind will set me racing as my journey nears its end. And the path I'll be retracing when I'm homeward bound again.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow. Set me free to find my calling and I'll return to you somehow.

In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed, When the sparrows stop their singing, I'll be homeward bound again".

Music and Lyrics by Marta Keen

Fodorite018 Jan 7th, 2005 07:24 AM

I posted a thank you on the US board as well, but it really was so touching.

mv_rd--my thoughts are with you. My dh retired from the military just this past year and so I had tears in my eyes as well. We both really miss the military and all that goes with it, although civilian life is good too.