Sentiment about US in London...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that US citizens are not getting the most welcome response in europe. Is this true in London? I've been once before & I love it, but I don't want to be subject to adverse feelings about the US....
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:15 PM
KCM

Hi. I've just returned from a 3 week trip to Europe, one week of which was in London. I am pleased to report we had a wonderful time and encountered no ill-will anywhere we went including London, Berlin, Venice and Rome. The subject of the war came up many times, however, most people we met separated the "people" of the US from the "Administration" of the US.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:58 PM

I think it makes a lot of sense to separate ourselves from our Administration - after all, WE are not the ones actually making the decisions!<BR>And if we can remember to remind those in other countries of this fact, and then shift the conversation, we will probably soften the stereotype of arrogant Americans. I am going to London, Prague and Vienna this weekend for a week, and hope to have lively discussions that stay lively instead of lethal!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Anti American sentiments are rarely directed at individual Americans unless the Americans are rude or belligerent. Of course there are exceptions - but I have found it a lot easier to have frank political discussions in the UK than back home in the US. At home they tend to deteriorate into bad feelings or name calling a lot faster.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
trips, where are you hearing this stuff?<BR><BR>I was in London in late January and encountered nothing unpleasant. People occasionally asked what I thought about Bush and US policy but it was never accusatory or belligerant. At the very least, criticism was levied against Bush or his administration and not against Americans as individuals.<BR><BR>Janis has her experiences to share, but I don't think the ability to hold a civilized political debate has anything to do with nationality. I've seen groups of my UK friends degenerate into near street brawls over Labor vs Conservative party lines.<BR><BR>Be friendly and polite and I can't imagine you'd be treated otherwise.<BR>