Sentier Tirepoil Footpath

Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Sentier Tirepoil Footpath

I posted an inquiry last week concerning, "one of the most spectacular footpaths in the world" (according to Fodor) on the Cap d'Antibes and have not gotten one response..... should I take that as a response in itself??? I can't believe I'm the only one who heard of it and was intrigued. If I don't get a response from this I guess the next you'll hear from me is reporting on it after I hike it next month.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:54 PM

Found this by Googling. Sounds like a lovely walk!

Bordering the Cap's zillion-dollar hotels and fabled estates runs one of the most spectacular walks in the world: the Sentier Tirepoil, which runs about 1 km (1 mi) along the outermost tip of the peninsula. It begins gently enough at the pretty Plage de la Garoupe (where Cole Porter and Gerard Murphy used to hang out), with a paved walkway and dazzling views over the Baie de la Garoupe and the faraway Alps. Round the far end of the cap, however, and the paved promenade soon gives way to a boulder-studded pathway that picks its way along 50-foot cliffs, dizzying switchbacks, and thundering breakers (Attention Mort -- "Beware: Death" -- read the signs, reminding you this path can be very dangerous in stormy weather). On sunny days, with exhiliarating winds and spectacular breakers coming in from the sea, you'll have company (families, even), although for most stretches all signs of civilization completely disappear, except for a yacht or two. The walk is long, and takes about two hours to complete, but it may prove two of the more unforgettable hours of your life (especially if you tackle it at sunset).

Search this Thread