Reload this Page >

Taking a toddler to Turkey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Rebecca

We've been wanting to go to Turkey for a long time, but now we have a one year old and wonder if it's a good idea to take such a small baby to Turkey? We'd go to the archaeological sites and spend a few days in Istanbul. Any advice?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:10 PM
bo_jack

I have not traveling-with-toddler experience, but I have traveled in Turkey. No. It is not a good idea to take such a small child. He/she certainly could not appreciate any part of it. At the arcaelogical sites, there could be in real danger because of the heat and dryness. In my opinion, it would be a really bad and essentially a selfish idea which would come to no good and could end in real tragedy.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Surlok

Rebecca, <BR> <BR>I guess Bo-Jack exaggerated, not a tragedy, of course, but would any of you have fun? I've seen many young parents traveling with their kids clogged, squeezed and trapped into those kangoroo bags. I've seen them in Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, everywhere. If you feel that you must go, do it, it wouldn't really harm any of you, but surely, your toddler, who's learning to walk, will want and need to be released to do it sometimes, and you'll all have to follow his/her pace. You'll have to find reasonably clean and safe places to let him/her play, as I imagine that you don't expect this toddler to be happy if he's not allowed to do what toddlers do, i.e., playing, seated on the ground as they like to do. <BR> <BR>I've taken my grandson and grand daughter twice on cruises, the first time we went to London, stayed there for fours days, and then Athens, two days, and then we cruised for 16 days, but we were many and took shifts watching over them. We never took them on shore excursions_ they were whether at the hotel, or playing on the park. On the cruise, one of us went ashore shortly with them, or they remained on the ship. In fact, I took my grandson to the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, for a short visit, but this was all he got to see, or got (shortly) being bored. Also in Safaga, I took him ashore, but again, very shortly, whereas the others were on an eight hours excursion. <BR> <BR>We made it for the second time a month ago. We stayed in Rome this time, for a week, after a 7 nights cruise by the Greek Islands and Turkey. We used the same procedure. They went ashore just once, since my grandson is now almost three years old, and I was able to being tendered ashore with him, then taking the cable car, and bring him with me to Santorini. He loved the cable car over all, and also to run by the island's cobbled streets. Even if it was quite tiring for me, I really enjoyed having him with me, also because he enjoyed himself. It was not the same as doing it on my own, but since I've been to Santorini before, it was a pleasure to have him with me. Hadn'tI been there before, I must admit that I'd feel frustrated.. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't, though, travel with them in different conditions, nor their parents would, meaning changing hotels every night, or taking them on the excursions. It would simply be exhausting and boring for them. Besides, I know how much has to be packed when it comes to toddlers, it's a non ending list of items, and just the thought of making a tour, stopping one night at each of the places to visit, makes me chill, and gives me thrills. <BR> <BR>Give this trip a second thought, unless you can take someone else with you to help with the toddler, someone who 'd stay with him/her, while you're touring. <BR> <BR>Turkey is a wonderful country, and there are so many things to do and see in Istanbul, among other places.. Maybe you should wait for a couple of years more, and do it more comfortably and peacefully in a (near) future. <BR> <BR>Best regards, <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:26 AM
Rex

I may be nostalgic, but I will offer the following alternative opinion - - NOT based on travel outside the country. <BR> <BR>In April 1981, my wife and I traveled with our 5 month old daughter from Sacramento to Yosemite, Sequoia National Park, Los Angeles, Solvang, Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle and Carmel. She was in a "front-pack" (same as what Surlok describes as a "kangaroo bag"?), and these are some of the finest and fondest memories of young parenthood I have in my entire life. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:44 AM
Pat

My 2 children are 11 and 14 and we have travelled with them since they were small, BUT we started out with fairly simple trips. We learned our lesson the first time we travelled with our older one when she was not quite a year old. The trip was in the U.S. but in an area where we wanted to do a lot of touring. Within a day or 2 her nap schedule became disrupted and her normally pleasant personality quickly turned sour. She started waking at night, having tantrums, etc. We gave up after a few days and went home early. Since then we have taken slower, quieter vacations when the kids were small building up to more active and intense touring trips as they've gotten older. They're now champion travellers. Taking a child this young to a place like that IMHO is basically a selfish act, since the child will get nothing out of it and will be limited in doing what toddlers like to do, namely run around, play on the ground etc. I would recommend waiting till your child is older or leaving them with a family member or friend and going on your own. After all, Turkey will still be there in a few years!