Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Senior Couple want B&B info for So. Wales and Bath,Stratford upon Avon areas. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/senior-couple-want-b-and-b-info-for-so-wales-and-bath-stratford-upon-avon-areas-59842/)

Fae Jan 12th, 2000 05:56 PM

Senior Couple want B&B info for So. Wales and Bath,Stratford upon Avon areas.

We will be in those areas early May and wish to know of places you've stayed that were in the budget range,no smoking, with congenial hosts.Prices and all other info appreciated. <BR>Hope to hear from all of you who have "been there". <BR>

Harriett Jan 13th, 2000 06:09 AM

When my husband and I traveled in these areas two years ago, we stayed with a couple of properties affiliated with the Wolsey Lodges group. The description, from their catalog, says that these are 'private homes (often of historic interest . . . from quite grand country houses to more modest homes) where guests are made welcome as friends." Their rates are somewhat higher than the least expensive B&B homes; most seem to be in the range of 30-40pounds per night per person, and some, but not all, are non-smoking. They have more than 200 members throughout Britain and central Europe. Their website is www.wolsey-lodges.co.uk. <BR> <BR>One of the places we stayed was a home called Priory Steps, a 17th century series of weavers' cottages located high above the lovely village of Bradford-on-Avon, which is about 8 miles from Bath and within walking distance of the canal path that goes along the river. <BR> <BR>Hope this is helpful!

John Jan 13th, 2000 06:18 AM

Hi, Fae, <BR>There's a big listing of B&Bs and all sorts of accommodation at the Automobile Association's web site, http://www.theaa.co.uk/hotels/index.asp

Dawn Jan 18th, 2000 03:11 AM

Fae, <BR> <BR>My husband and I stayed in the most wonderful B&B in south wales right on the Pembrokshire coastal path. The hosts were marvelous. We are actually going to go back in the end of May. The name of the B&B is Bettws. I have the info at home about them but I will be sure to e-mail you the details (I think I posted something about it here before though, I'll look) They are also listed in the Best B&B's in England, Scotland and Wales. I believe the prices are @22 pounds per person/per night. The accomodations are really lovely and the breakfast!! They serve it in a glass porch that overlooks the Irish Sea.

Greta Willis Jan 18th, 2000 06:21 AM

My husband and I stayed at a B & B in Cheltenham (which is in the area) 6 years ago. The breakfast was the best we've ever had at a B & B and the price was reasonable. They even have a "stair chair" for people who have difficulties climbing stairs. The names of the hosts are Anita and Peter Sekulic, "Kielder", 222 London Road, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Glos. GL52 6HW. Tel: 01242 237 138. I believe Peter's father was a Polish airman during the War. Very nice couple.

Dawn Jan 18th, 2000 01:36 PM

Fae, <BR> <BR>Here is the info on Bettws: <BR>Parrog <BR>Newport SA42 0RX <BR>Tel: (01239) 820559 <BR>Mrs. Nina Williams <BR> <BR>We also stayed at a very nice B&B with the most comfortable beds in the world (my husband still talks about it) and a wonderful breakfast. It is in a small town (12 houses and a really old church) about 5 min from Bath. Will you have a car? They make their own honey and candles there. If you want the info let me know

Fae Jan 20th, 2000 08:36 PM

Nina please send info on Bath B&B. <BR>Everyone, thanks for all info thus far. <BR>fae

Dawn Jan 21st, 2000 10:00 AM

Fae, <BR> <BR>The info for the Bath B7B is: <BR> <BR>Poplar Farm <BR>Tel# 01761470382 <BR>E-mail: [email protected] <BR>They are also listed in the website: <BR>www.altourism.com/UK/poplarfm.html <BR> <BR>We will be staying there again in May for a night as well as the B&B I mentioned above in Wales. Hope you have a wonderful time.