Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Self-guided Wine Tour: Burgundy & Rhone Valley

Jul 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Hello All,

I am planning a two-week self-guided tour through the wine regions of Burgundy and the Rhone Valley in the beginning of August. I have been to Paris, Avignon and Provence before and have done all the typically "tourist" activities, so this trip is really all about food and wine. I have a decent knowledge base of French wine, but speak minimal French. I would really appreciate any recommendations on individual producers to visit (and if an appointment is required), restaurants with great wine lists, wine bars, and anything else you'd wish to relate! Below I am listing my itinerary:

3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Beaune
1 night Lyon
2 nights Chateauneuf du Pape
1 night Aix en Provence

I have already gathered a lot of info. from books, online and through this forum. Things I have already planned are:

Olivier's Table (Puligny Montrachet), Marche Aux Vins (Beaune), Chateau du Clos du Vougeot, and Chateau de Beaucastel (Chateauneuf du Pape).

I definitely want to visit more individual producers, so if anyone has information on anywhere specific, please help! I am particularly interested in recommendations for Chablis, Cote de Nuits, Cote de Beaune, Macon, Beaujolais, Condrieu, Tain L'Hermitage, Vacqueyras and Gigondas.

Thank you very much for your help!!
- Lauren
Jul 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM
ira

Hi L,

>Marche Aux Vins (Beaune),

It's a pleasant place to visit (looks like the caves of a chateau) but it's about 10E pp and the wines available for tasting weren't all that good.

You do get a tastevin as a souvenir, though.

Jul 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Hi Lauren-

I'd also suggest the following:

Tain L'Hermitage--visit Michel Chapoutier's cave. Walk-ins were welcomed, but you get a better tour and tasting if you make an appointment.

Valence--Dinner at Pic. Sophie just regained the third star lost when her father passed away. Great place!

Beaujolais--a little touristy but Georges duBoeuf has a place that's a "wine theme park"

Agree with the comment re: Marche Aux Vins. We had the same experience as ira. I'd avoid it. Very disappointing.

In general, we found that most of the wineries in this part of France require appointments in advance. There's a good deal of information on the internet, depending on your preference for wine. Choose a couple and book in advance.

Have a great time!
Jul 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM

I'll chime in as well. You definitely need an appointment for Beaucastel, especially for an english tour. And don't think it will be a quick venture, they take their product and philosophy very seriously. We had an appointment and walked out 2 1/2 hrs later.
Your visit to Gigondas should include the Caveau du Gigondas--a free tasting venue in the center of town with close to 180 different offerings.
Lastly, I think your itinerary is awfully busy with lots of short stays. Consider staying a longer period in any of your destinations to "get into" any of the appellations.
Paul
Nov 1st, 2013, 02:55 AM

Hi there,

I was just wondering how your trip went. I am planning a similar trip next year - and I was wondering how you got around France, what was your means of transportation? I'm coming on a solo trip and am terrified of driving in France.