Self Drive Itinerary for 6 Days in South and West Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four of us are going to Ireland in June and would like advice for an itinerary for 6 days. Inland attractions would be nice but the coast is a big interest for us. Would appreciate a suggested itinerary from experienced travellers to Ireland. Thank you.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Have you bought your tickets yet?
Dublin, or no Dublin?
Northern Ireland (UK) or no?
How much time per day would you like to/ be willing to spend in the car?
What are MUST see locations?

Help a brother out...

Bob
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:34 PM

I would recommend in/out of Shannon. Look at Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Dingle, and Killarney areas. That's about all you can reasonably handle in 6 days and have a relaxing/enjoyable time.

Do you have any ideas of what else you would like to see?

Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Flying into Shannon, Dublin or where?
Got any rough plans?
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the quick response. We are flying into Shannon, then out of Shannon to London at end of Ireland visit. Does anyone think we could also make it to Clifden to see Connemara? We don't want to spend hours in the car and are wanting to stay 2 nights at a time in each area.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Some of you wishes work to cross-purposes. Not long in car and two nights in same place, but... Assume you are arriving after an overnight flight and that you have six full days and nights. Try this:
Day 1: Arrive Shannon and drive via Limmerick through Adare to Inch and end in Dingle. Take rest-stop breaks as needed. Check in to your accommodation early (pre-arrainge to do this) and refresh, unload and take a two hour nap to minimize jet lag. Explore Dingle Town that evening.(You will have Daylight until about 10 PM.
Day 2: Drive the Slea Head Drive and return to Dingle for the night.
Day 3: Drive out of Dingle via Conor Pass to Tralee to Tarbert and take the Shannon Ferry to Killimer. Drive along the Clare coast to the Cliffs of Moher. Spend the night in Ballyvaughan, Doolin, or ...
Day 4: Drive to Clifden via Galway and the coast. Spend the night in Clifden.
Day 5: Drive from Clifden past Kylemore Abbey to Lenane then take the Doo Lough Valley via Delphi and Louisberg, to Westport. Take the direct route back to Lenane and end the night back in Clifden.
Day 6: Drive back through Galway and follow the N18 to Ennis and visit the Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, shop at Avocca and Blarney Woolen Mills. Spend the night in Ennis. Short drive to Shannon Airport in morning to catch your flight.
Not ideal -- give only six days, wish to minimize driving, it would be easier, and you could see more, by doing all 1 night stays (less time spent 'backtracking'), but something like this might work as a compromise.

Bob
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:39 AM

Bob's given you a solid itinerary suggestion. The Dingle is fantastic, but you could cut it and give yourself more time on the Connemara coast (and maybe County Mayo - I always enjoy the village of Cong and walking the grounds of Ashford Castle). The coastal views are spectacular.

Let's face it, if you're looking for great coastline, Ireland's western shore from the southern peninsulas to Achill Island (and beyond) are guaranteed to please, so it's just a matter of determining your pace (less is more in my opinion).
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Italian Cheuffer. Sounds like you know what your talking about. I think our itinerary is getting clearer. I've just bought our airline tickets so now this trip is official. Have you ever been to London and if so where do you stay? We are going to fly into and out of Shannon and fit in a 3 night trip to London. Husband and I've been to London, but made arrangements thru travel agent. Didn't know what we paid for rooms, but we're on a budget this time and would like to spend $125 or less for room. Know of any that are comfortable and near the historic center of London?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM

Sorry, there is this HUGE magnet (or something similar) planted somewhere in Ireland that I can't seem to travel past. We've been seven times now, with #8 coming up in about 60 days.
Closest we've come to elsewhere in Europe was in 2000, when we had a lay over in Gatwick. We had my wife's elderly parents with us and that route was our only way to fly into Cork city.

Lots of London folks on this forum. I would suggest you start a new thread. Good luck.
Bob